[SOLVED] : How to recomple engine v.10 + devcpp+ DX9c

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
AmigaIrr

[SOLVED] : How to recomple engine v.10 + devcpp+ DX9c

Post by AmigaIrr »

:cry:

the method for 0.9 don't work :cry:

HELP PLEASE
Last edited by AmigaIrr on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L'eternité c'est long, surtout vers la fin...

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

would love to know how to do this as well, because i like DevC over VS.

but the solution im looking/hoping for is if we can get Irrlicht to work for DevC WITHOUT using the dang DirectX debug .dll's. why can VS use the actuall .dll's that are already installed (and updated through windows update), but DevC has to use the debug version (which have to be downloaded with the DXSDK manually)??

is this something that is planned to be in Irrlicht later "officially", or is it going to continue being a "work-around" ?

p.s. sorry to vent, but a good idea would be to note this on the features page that the engine doesnt natively support DX when using DevC

Post by Guest »

I woul like to know how to install it with DEV C++ too :(
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

while i do not have the directions to recompile (only the capability to do so), i do have a non-debug DLL version for DX 8.1 and 9.2c already compiled and downloadable. substitute the Irrlicht.a file with the one from this distribution and substitute the Irrlicht.DLL with this one. you also need to place the two DX DLLs in the same location as the Irrlicht.DLL. these DLLs are _not_ the debug versions and can be distributed with your application. you should then just need to recompile your EXE (to link in the new irrlicht.a) and run.

Non-Debug recompile of Irrlicht v0.10 with DX support

here is part of my last post from the Irrlicht v0.09 post on the same topic with a little more explanation:
... i was lucky to happen across Budman who has been a DirectX SDK beta tester since version 3. the reason for including the debug versions the first time around is that i could not find the non-debug version of the DLLs. Budman informed me that this is because they did not exist. the non-debug versions were static libs that were meant to be built into the EXE. since MSVC libs most of the time dont work with DevCPP, i could not get anything but the debug versions to work. Budman knew of a Delphi developer that had rewritten the 2 needed libs and built them into DLLs that could be legally distributed. he also new how to convert the libs for those into the .a format that MingW could understand. the result is that now we can include Irrlicht DX support for the MingW compiler.
although i would love to see DX built into the regular Irrlicht distribution for DevCPP (and i have actually requested it on the feature request page for Irrlicht) i dont think it will happen. the problem with including DX by nature in the Irrlicht distribution from niko is that there is no way without jumping through hoops to get the DX stuff to work with DevCPP and Irrlicht.

also, the directx devpak has issues. first, it only uses the debug DLLs. second, those DLLs only come with the directx sdk and are not legally distributable (as well as many of the other files included in the devpak). anything you release using them requires your user to download the directx sdk in order to get them legally.

again, id like to thank Budman for working all this out for me.
Last edited by garrittg on Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrittg

Post by garrittg »

k... ive made available the .a files created by Budman that go along with the DLLs from my DX distribution. this will allow you to recompile the Irrlicht DLL on your own.

http://www.grandberg.us/gg.Irrlicht/DX_ ... _files.zip

you will also need to install the devpak located at:

DirectX9.DevPak

most of this is from the v0.09 instructions in the other thread but i have modified it slightly:
2. Unzip source code of Irrlicht 0.10

3. Open up Irrlicht.dev project in devcpp

4. In project options, go to parameters tabs and enter these two lines at the bottom in both "Compiler" and "C++ compiler" area:

-D_IRR_COMPILE_WITH_DIRECTX_8_=1
-D_IRR_COMPILE_WITH_DIRECTX_9_=1

5. In linker area, add these two lines :

-ld3dx92ab
-ld3dx81ab

6. In directories tab, change libraries and include dirs to you local installed lib and include DevCpp directories

7. Open up IrrConfigConfig.h, located in IrrImpl folder of the project.

8. At the very end of the file, comment all these lines or the library will be compiled without DX9 support, only DX8 will be available.

#if _MSC_VER < 1300
#undef _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_DIRECTX_9_
#pragma message("Compiling Irrlicht with Visual Studio 6.0, support for DX9 is disabled.")
#endif

9. Execute/Rebuild all

10. You get a brand new irrlicht.dll in source code directory or whatever output directory you might have set up in project options/build options/executable output directory
this should get you the same libirrlicht.a and Irrlicht.DLL that im already distributing. the only reason you would need to do this is if you are modifying the Irrlicht source.
AmigaIrr

Post by AmigaIrr »

Thanks !! tha works !!

your 8)

:D
L'eternité c'est long, surtout vers la fin...

Q6600 triton 79, 4 GO, 2* RAPTOR 150GO of ARECA 256 RAID 0, 3870 Zalmann, P5K. 24" Samsung. Antec nine hundred