Current .NET compatibility

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Duncan Mac Leod

Post by Duncan Mac Leod »

Guesty wrote:For my last evaluation of Axiom I found its performance easily compariable to OGRE3D; it also easily ran out of the box under Linux, apparently, as evidenced by the now defunct Axiom forums and several posts on the RealmForge forums (who have currently forked Axiom due to the lead developer of Axiom suffering rock-star syndrome followed closely by 'nobody's home' syndrome).

I will agree that the .NET wrapper has advanced with significant progress thanks to niko and programming it in mixed mode C++.NET, but I would still like to "keep the doors open" as it were to run applications under Mono. Irrlicht has the most promising potential; of all the engines that had managed interfaces I would rate it second best only to TV3D, which is also, unfortunately, Windows-only. 6.5 promises an incrediblyh nice managed api, though, instead of ugly COM-interop. ;)

Can't fault me for pushing my own interests above yours, can you?

Its the way most humans work. :D
Why don't you 'keep the doors open' yourself? Let Niko do the Engine development while you are writing the Interop / PInvoke wrapper 8) or is there any reason why you want Niko to do that and not writing the wrapper yourself?

...and 'no', you do not push your interests above mine :wink: ! Irrlicht has all the features we need for our Projects and if there were no wrapper at all, we would code our own, so it doesn't affect our 'interests' if Niko would code the Interop / PInvoke wrapper for you. But it would affect the upcoming Irrlicht C# Community who will have to wait much longer til they can use all the features of Irrlicht using C#. And it would affect the bug-fixing process on Irrlicht, cause there is ONLY ONE developer for all the tasks.

So plz don't demand such features - help the Community and start coding the wrapper yourself - I have also posted that we would support (if time permits) any developer or team who wants to do the Interop / PInvoke wrapper!

Duncan
--
Tucan Entertainment
Horn

Post by Horn »

Has anyone tried building a project using the C# Express Beta 2? I've setup a project, reference the .net wrapper, and copied the Irrlicht.dll to my projects directory but when I try to run it I get a file not found exception with the message "The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)". Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?
WalterWzK

Post by WalterWzK »

Niko, We all respect the effort you put into the engine. So let me mention that as many others first!

Im a real .NET-A-Holic and Im (trying to) develop since your wrapper first saw the daylight. I find really great that you create this wrapper aside from the main engine!

Im hungry for more features in the wrapper and if i can help with my basic C++ knowledge im willing to help develop the .NET Wrapper since its gaining popularity and i could certainly use more feature's myself..
But until i manage to compile the BASIC UNCHANGED code in C++ 2005 .Net myself without any errors i must rely on you. No hard feelings :)
But thats why i keep asking about the progress since november last year, because i hope that when we keep it to your attention once in a while you waste some spare time on the wrapper :D

Nevertheless: GREAT WORK, we love you niko!

[1 Simple request: Please fix the 'Position.Set' in the wrapper because when we create a object and fill in the position as a vector3D it works, but when you try to change the position later on it never works, that really sucks haha]
Current Project: Don Salvatore's Mafia
Genre: 3D Shooter \ RTS
Programming Language: VB .NET
Engine: Irrlicht 11 [.NET Wrapper]