3D Game engines

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Beasty

3D Game engines

Post by Beasty »

What are the better known 3D game engines that are free and work with Irrlicht? If the Irrlicht engine is a graphics proccesing engine, then what does the game engine do? Also, are there any tutorials out there that teaches you how to make your own game engine or something, because I want to try to make my own game engine?
area51

Post by area51 »

Here is a good list of Game/Rendering Engines for comparison:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/

They have made a mistake in the top 10 of open source engines though. :?
________
DODGE M37
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Thanks! Do they all work with Irrlicht?
Beasty

Post by Beasty »

Sorry, the above post is mine. I forgot to login before.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

?????

they're all separate engines, just like Irrlicht is a graphic engine of its own.

Check the open source ones; the major ones are Ogre, Crystal Space, neoEngine, and Irrlicht. None has to do anything with the other.
Beasty

Post by Beasty »

How do we develop a game with irrlicht, then? Are there any specific directories orders like the Half-Life and Half-Life 2 engine?
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

Yeah, there is a difference between game engine and graphics engine. People dont get that distinction anymore. (I blame an article that some gaming site posted 4 years ago where they treated the two as the same thing.)

There is afaik no generic game engine for irrlicht. There are in fact very few open source game engines. Reality factory and realm forge are the only ones I can think of, but I dont think they are very good.

There is Dusty which is a task engine, which is usually a central part of a object oriented game engines.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I think you should read a bit more about the engine and its capabilities. You're expecting Irrlicht to be a "level editor-create level-compile-and play engine" whichit's not. Though being a graphic engine you still gotta create all of your stuff in other packages and then put everything together via c++ programming.

Haven't you read Irr's FAQ's and Specs?
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/faq.html

also check the beginners section; the open discusion section is meant to be used for other stuff.

I'm moving this post.
X_for_Extra

Post by X_for_Extra »

You're expecting Irrlicht to be a "level editor-create level-compile-and play engine" whichit's not.
Actually, I think that is exactly what he is not expecting.
Should put something witty here I suppose.
Beasty

Post by Beasty »

X_for_Extra is right. I'm thinking Irrlicht plays a role in the game but there needs to be other engines that control aspects of the game, like the main menu, HUD etc. I've checked the FAQ, but there doesn't seem to be anything about how to make a real, advanced game, that consists of several projects.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

You can build Irrlicht into a game engine. You would have to add the physics engine, gui, (if you don't like irrlichts gui) networking and other librarys to it. You can search for ICE here on this forum. Keles is making a game engine using irrlicht as it's core. It's looking good so far. :)
There are a few tutorials on the main page that tell you how to add the most popular physics engines.
If it exists in the real world, it can be created in 3d

Sys specs:
AMD 3700+ 64 processor
1.0 gb ram
e-Geforce 6600 graphics 256 mb onboard ram
Beasty

Post by Beasty »

Thanks! ICE seems to be alright, but do you know of any newer, updated game engines, because ICE is based on Irrlicht 0.9? I'm using Newton Game Dynamics Physics Engine.