Just wondering how you guys do it...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
sugarhigh

Just wondering how you guys do it...

Post by sugarhigh »

I'm currently mapping for my project and I'm using gtkradiant, but I was wondering, how do you guys get your textures for the map into the editor, like able to choose them/apply them from within the editor. Do you use shaders, am I missing a gtkradiant function (though I've used gtkradiant for mapping in other games but that wouldnt really apply that well to irrlicht), or some other way. Thanks for any replies.
ab illo cui multum datur multum requiritur
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

create a folder under "quake3/baseq3/textures" with the textures for your project; i.e. "quake3/baseq3/textures/irrproject"

copy your images there, they need to be jpegs or tgas (preferably jpegs) so that radiant and quake3 and Irrlicht can find-use them. Remember to use powers of 2 textures (128x128,256x256 etc) otherwise you'll start getting weird errors.

Launch gtkradiant and a folder called "irrproject" should appear under the textures menu; once selected your jpegs should be displayed in the texture window. Create your level and apply your textures. Compile your bsp and create a pk3 file including the following folders: "maps"; "textures".

then use Irrlicht's Quake 3 example to load your level :D
sugarhigh

Post by sugarhigh »

Okay, thanks, I didn't know you could do it that way. I've mapped for q3 and other q3 engine based games but I've always used shaders which Irrlicht doesn't support (or does it!?) so I wasn't quit sure. It's kind of ackward being lost in something you're so familiar with lol.
ab illo cui multum datur multum requiritur
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Nope, shaders are Q3 only so we just use the lightmapped bsp with regular jpegs as textures. But you can get some very decent results with this. For special things you can model the extra stuff in a 3d modeler and import it into your already loaded level (bsp) as a separate mesh (3ds, .x or obj file) and apply one of Irrlicht's shaders on it.