Point based user ranking

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
rt

Point based user ranking

Post by rt »

i was wondering if niko had thought about implementing a user-awarded ranking system for the member of the forum? there may even exist an add-on for phpbb which enables such features.

it would work similar to websites such as experts-exchange.
basically, someone would post a question about the irrlicht engine. if that question is answered to the satisfaction of the author then the person who wrote the answer would get (for example) 5 points. any supporting answers may recieve 1 point.

this would promote some friendly competition and also help to give users some idea of who they can 'trust' to post thorough solutions to questions.

perhaps there can be more rewards for the highest ranking problem solvers.. like free copies of 3DS :D
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Nice idea, but I did not find any plugin for this. And if I had, I bet I would have to modify this skin. :)
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

The forum works fine! Please don't change too much :)
Visit my website @ www.venex.be
Plethora project will be added to the site
AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB DDR, Radeon M10 (mobile 9600) PRO 64MB, WinXP
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The only flaws I see with it is that expert-exchange has a staff that keeps tabs on the questions asked and makes sure that either the question is locked or points are distributed. This would eat up a lot of time.

That, and most of the questions on expert-exchange are phrased very concise and clear, making the problem very easy to answer by someone who understands the context. Unclear questions like "MS Word crashes often. What do I do?", are tossed out by the staff.

In a way, prizes are already rewarded. I have gotten a few really nice textures from people saying "thank you". Also, even answering the questions incorrectly is a learning experience, so people can find out what does and doesn't work by simply reading through everything.
Crud, how do I do this again?