Practicality Questions and 3DSMax Question

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Seliris

Practicality Questions and 3DSMax Question

Post by Seliris »

Okay I had no idea what to search for so please forgive me if this is kind of redundant to answers given out before.

My first question is regarding materials in 3D Studio Max, I am wondering how you can prevent the system from automatically "stretching" the texture but instead repeating it. I thought maybe adding noise to it would do it, but that doesn't seem to effect it. So any suggestions for this would be appreciated.

This second question is a little more in depth and I have been searching everywhere to get information about it...

How many polygons is the average game using in a given second? I was designing some trees in 3D Studio Max that had a poly count of about 8000 (with their leaves). Well if I did a heavy forest this is probably going to get to taxing on the system resources (not to mention you'd also have avatars to render and animate). So how many polys should I be targetting for (total and per object on average)?

Thanks in advance.
Hug your compiler today!
area51

Post by area51 »

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=7255

8000 polys for 1 tree is way too much. :(

There is no hard and fast number of polys per model or scene, although I wouldn't want any more than 20,000 on the screen at any one time. This depends on your target hardware spec and minimum frames per second.

I think the correct answer would be the least amount you can get away with.
________
Germany / Austria Cooking
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NexusInteractive

Post by NexusInteractive »

I'm new to the whole 3d thing, and this may be a really dumb suggestion...

But what if you made a way for the game or whatever type of project you are working on just renders 15,000 to 20,000 polys at one time. Then as you move around, the other polys infront of you get rendered and then ones behind you disappear. This might look really ugly, but If you would using a game with fog, then you could use a thicker fog to take away the effect of seeing the polys go away.

I heard of a game that used this technique, but I have forgotten what game it was. :P
Seliris

Post by Seliris »

From what I have seen, only what is rendering in front of you is what is being loaded with Irrlicht. Anything that isn't on the screen may still be in memory, but that allocation can be overwritten with new information (and furthermore if you probably turned back to the exact same scene, it would write over rather then re-use the existing information). But I may be wrong on that.

I ended up going with this program TreemagikG3 - the trees are around 2000 polygons for very complex ones and they look about as good as the one I generate in 3DS Max.
Hug your compiler today!