Can irrlicht handle animated .3ds?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Quall

Post by Quall »

That exporter does :P

For me it does anyways.
Albert

Post by Albert »

Quall wrote:Albert, there is a .x exporter for max here:
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax.htm

It works perfectly after you get the settings right.
Thanx. I'm trying now. It shows that the latest version is for 3ds max 6.0+. Mine's 3ds max 7, hope it'll work.
Quall

Post by Quall »

Mine is max 7 as well. But, I remember I had to play with the settings in the animation tab to get it working correctly. So you might have to as well.
Albert

Post by Albert »

I found something useful:

http://www.cs.aau.dk/~lugzan/md2/md2imex.zip

It does convert animated mesh from .3ds to .md2. Try it.
Seliris

Post by Seliris »

Just kinda refreshing this post (after running an hour long search lol). I'm trying to make animations in 3DS Max. Based on what I've read here Irrlicht has no way of loading that information, but you can export the animation to a DirectX Mesh?

Does it just export a certain number of frames from the 3ds file? I am not all that knowledgable on the animating part of things yet, but from what I have experimented with I can just act (through transformers, effects and particles) on objects in my scene. However, to animate I have to move the frame-slider at the bottom (I'm using 3ds-6 by the way). I would assume this is true for all the programs? Or are we calling on an objects name to make it do something (ie like giving it a skeleton and telling "left hand" to move?)

If someone could fill me in a bit more, I would appreciate it.
Hug your compiler today!
nav

Post by nav »

Hi,
There is an easy way to export to .x if you have 3dsMax 7. All you need is the latest directX SDK. This comes with the plugins you need to export your models straight out of 3dsMax. Instructions can be found here....
p.s The SDK also has a handy viewer for .x files.
trotta

Post by trotta »

it maybe a bit late in the day for this post but.....
MD2 3ds max exporters:

qtip (limited texture size in demo, but this doesn't effect the size assigned by irrlicht). supports animation and animation sets.

"md2 export maxscript" by adam barton. hard to find but I'll e-mail it to anyone that wants it. this is a better choice, as you can edit the way it exports normals(one of the most severe limitations of the md2 format is the normal information for the model is rounded off to one of 162 possilities).use the turn to mesh modifier to export animated models.

.x files in irrlicht do not support any deformation outside vertex weighted skeletal animation. ie. bendy parts of the body like arms will come out looking like gumby arms not human arms. gizmos in the 3dsmax skin modifier(and the equivelint in skinmorph for max7) dont get imported(if they do get exported?).
.md2 files don't supprt any skeletel animation whatsoevever, use the "turn to mesh" modifier to export the effects of the skin modifier your using.