Mupolis engine, known earlier as Virtual City, site moved!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
area51

Post by area51 »

Yes, very good indead.

80-100 fps on a 2.8gig P4 1Gig ram, stupid on board graphic card (work pc), which is a very good frame rate indead. What's the average polys being displayed?

It used a lot of memory though, 307Meg, which I guess is due to so many textures.

Anyway, one of the best projects i've seen also

Good work:D
________
MERCEDES-BENZ 430 HISTORY
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I also noticed this problem with falling down few times, always when there were many other programs running on computer. What the hell could it be? Maybe something with memory management? But anyway doesn't matter what is it I find the bug :twisted: .
There's average 10000-15000 triangles displayed at the same time, generally up to 20000 and when I'll make occlusion culling it will significantly decraese the count and even increase framerate. On the other hand, it's now only map displayed, that's not much, there should be any entities in game, many collisions, interactions, I'm afraid it will run smoothly rather only on faster computers :(.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Nice.
Also 80-100 fps

Question and Comment:

I decided to walk WAY outside of the city, turned around and started walking back...
When I did, the city seemed to fade back in, rather than all of the sudden appearing. So I walked backwards away from the scene, and it faded out rather than disappearing suddenly (as when I've fallen off of none-seamless worlds)
Is this an Irrlicht seamless world thing? or did you do something?

Also, I'm curious how you did the trees...they were about the only UNconvincing thing there.
Trees are a bitch for real-time 3d no matter how you slice it. It looks as like you placed multiple planes at different angles, which I guess is the standard.

Anyway, it looks like its coming along nicely.
What's the motivation here?

-m
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Yes, the world is seamless, when you go straight on all the time you finally get back to the place you came out.
Well, trees, the way they look now is definitly not final solution. As I mentioned earlier in other thread the map is not stored in memory as mesh, but as compact structure describing it. Otherwise such great maps, as are meant to be handled by the engine, would never fit in memory of any home computer. On the other hand this cause some limitations and the structure beter fits to describe shape of buildings than objects of nature. At the moment the trees and the buildings use the same structure, so that's why trees can't look much better than they look now. In future trees and some other objects will be just standard meshes, but it's not implemented at the moment.
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I also please niko to change the data in screenshots section if it's not a problem. Virtual City no longer exists, exists Mupolis :).
katoun

Post by katoun »

Hello.
Nice project, but, I'm wandering would it be posible to use it(when it is ready) for large urban environments but with post-apocaliptic feeling(like destroid buldings, piles of brics, dust and everithig 'nice' for a future world were people leved underground for more than 500 years so mostely everithing outside is untached for that long :D ).
Kat'Oun

Post by Guest »

I tried downloading the file just now and I get a corrupted 326 KB file?
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Sorry, I was just updating file on the server. I made some bugfixes, first of all problem with yellow fence. I tested it, but I'm not still sure if I really solved it, it's harder to prove if something doesn't exist than if it exists.

Postapocaliptic feeling? Sure! Why not, it all depend on designer :). By the way, it will be possible to modify map on realtime for in-game destroying of buildings and so on, it would be nice, I think.
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

i tried to download it and open it with 7zip, but i got a corrupted file...
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.

Post by Guest »

download was ok.

I did not get stuck on the yellow fence but the camera stops as though you run into something. If you take a step to your left and then go forward you will continue forward until encounter the same problem.
Beam

Post by Beam »

FPS: 60-80

geforce 4 440MX
pentium 4 2,6MHz
512MB ram

Looks nice. If cam-movement is supposed to be caracter then strafing is way to fast but i guess you know that.
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I downoaded it myself and tried with 7zip, it's ok. Also I didn't notice such problem with camera, strange.
The game would be rather 3rd person perspective, so actual FPP camera is rather temporary, just to make demo working and test collisions.
TheHitchhiker

Post by TheHitchhiker »

It does not work :-(. All I see is black screen.
Use the Source!
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Wait a little time for uploading textures, I will add loading screen in next release.
after-life

Post by after-life »

Are you planning to release the source or do you want a team to work on your game?

I see a lot of potential in this project :D