Mupolis engine, known earlier as Virtual City, site moved!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I already did it, added loading screen, nothing special, but at least there's no this ugly black screen all the time, you can download if you wish.

I have to make now material editor and finish my little task manager, then have to clean up source, add some comments, and I'll release it all - engine with editor, demo and source code for them all. It would be version 0.3, I think, still much to do but already usable. To make the game of it there's definitely needed a team, it won't be work for one person, but it's still perspective of at least few next months.
katoun

Post by katoun »

I see that Irrlicht.dll in your prj. has 3.4MB, so there are 2 reasons for that :
1 you have modefied the engine or added stuff to it
2 you compiled it yourself.

My conclusion:
Either way the dll is TOO BIG for an engine like Irrlicht so I think you compiled it as Debug.

My request:
Compile it as Release(and definately it will work faster-trust me I know the diference) and uploade the new demo(you only have to change is the Irrlicht.dll
and I gues the Mupolis_v0.5.exe if you compiled it as Debug too).

Question:
What compiler do you use?
For windows exe aplications I think Visual Studio is the best(because it has code optimizations made by the same company that made Windows so they must know better than others haw to make them).
Kat'Oun
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

No, there are some other data in dll and everything is release, trust me :). Only thing that could be little better is compiler - VC++ .NET 2002, but anyway it's still good enough, it could be compiled with something better later. First of all I just have to make some optimizations, wich, I hope, will increase framerate at least 2 times - some parts of the engine are really too slow.
katoun

Post by katoun »

Well I have replaced the Irrlicht.dll with the oficial one (from the SDK)
and Mupolis worked only there were no textures.
You know the oficial dll has 1.4MB and yours has 3MB so don't tell me that the loading and rendering of your textures is more the 1MB of dll.
Haw much have you modefied Irrlicht and if not much you should reconsider compiling with something else.
Kat'Oun
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Very nice :D Looks great!

Edit: Specs
AMD 3000+
1gm DDR
Geforce 5900

runs at 98fps :D
Last edited by Joe_Oliveri on Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
corteplaneta

Post by corteplaneta »

Very nice :). System specs are: 512 mb ram, 1.8 ghz P4, GeForceFX5600 (;/) and I get 35-129 fps depending what I'm looking at. I get really choppy when too many polys get on the screen, the buildings seem to "shake" and stuff. Good idea though, how'd you get the seamlessly looping map? I've been trying to figure out how to do this for an autopatcher frontend I'm writing.
Quezt

Post by Quezt »

Great Job!

It even run without irrlicht.dll, lols
only textures will be affected.
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I downloaded the demo herer at work, but when I tried to run it it crashed. The desktop stayed at the set resolution (800x600x4!) and wouldn't even let me switch to my usual higher resolutiuon, as Windows did not recognize my monitor anymore. So, I had to use the device mnager to scan for new hardware and the monitor was found again.

I'll try again later with my PC at home, might be the graphic card here at work (Nvidia Quadro NVS) is not supported... Anyway, just wanted to let you know. :)

Really looking forward to try this out, as I'm working on a city-based game myself. :)
There are only 10 kinds of people - those that know binary and those that don't.
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

Well, I don't know much about Nvidia Quadro NVS but it's rather pure professional card, isn't it? And actually does it run any other Irrlicht apps or games? Or you didn't tried? I hope it just doesn't :), otherwise it's problem.
I have explained how my seamles world works in other thread
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... highlight=
I have also made seamles editor that works on the same engine, thus it also repeates map, so you don't even see where the map ends and where begins, when you edit.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

@ Don_Pedro on my old system P3, 800 Ati all in wonder 128 pro/32mb, 512 MB Ram cannot start your application. I assume that this system has not enough video ram.

Well, I just buyed new system Athlon 64 3000+ /1800 MhZ/ 1G RAM, gForce 6600 128 MBRam, WindowsXP 32 and gets from 150-300 fps.
Today I overclocked my system with 600 MHZ, made some optimization for DDR RAM in bios settings and get some like Athlon 64 3800+ and got fps 180-350.

The main reason for decreasing of FPS in Irrlicht by me is culling. I'm still not tested whether Irrlicht will work fine with some 64 bits OS, but when get this will post any results again.

I like your work.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
Xico

nice work!

Post by Xico »

Hi Don Pedro, super nice work! And have a lot of possibilites to expand.
If you need some collaboration with new buildings models or texturing, drop me an email: leemos(at)gmail.com

keep the good work
cheers
corteplaneta

Post by corteplaneta »

Hey Don, thanks for the link, helps me out a lot :). I have a few good ideas of how I'm gonna do this now :D.
xoset

Post by xoset »

Just downloaded and tried this.. looks like an amazing concept.. cant wait for it to be open-source released!

Getting 24-52fps on AMD Socket A 1300Mhz, with an old Matrox G400 MAX runnig dual monitors, 512Mb SDRAM, MS XP.

Had no issues with getting stuck / falling through the ground etc. - probably down to the slower frame rate?

Keep us up-to-date with your progress!
don_Pedro

Post by don_Pedro »

I am working hard on optimizations now. I reached slightly framerate increase, but it's not so obvious. It possibly will work faster on computers with fast graphic cards, as I took some job out of CPU, but that means it will be slower on hardware with older video? I'm not sure. But first of all my engine eats much less memory now - up to 80mb compared to about 300 before! It's real success. I will release optimized demo soon, you will check how much better it will work :D .
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Works fine on my laptop, Centrino 1.5 and Radeon 9600... I assume my PC at work can't execute any Irrlicht demos, as it is build for professional work, as you said.

Would you explain anything technical on how you handle the level and the editor? Or is it top secret? I'm kind of interested in it, as I work on a similar engine for my project... ;)
There are only 10 kinds of people - those that know binary and those that don't.