I can't do this alone... at all. :P

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
NexusInteractive

I can't do this alone... at all. :P

Post by NexusInteractive »

Hello. I'm currently (trying) to work on a game called Armed Assault. It's basically a S.W.A.T team fps where the government has created a new agency called Armed Assault. Although no one knows that it exists. They get called in on hostage situations and terrorist threats.

Anyway, i hardly know any C++ and I don't really know Irrlicht yet, so I need help.

I need someone to help with the stuff I can't do and someone that can take the time to help me and explain to me the different aspects of C++ and Irrlicht as we go along.

If you are interested, please post here or (prefferably) contact me on MSN. My nickname is core10.gamer@gmail.com (don't forget the "." alot of people do)

Thanks!

EDIT: Stupid spelling errors. :P
NexusInteractive

Post by NexusInteractive »

So... no one cares or no one has the time? Which is it? :P

But, seriously, i really need help with this. I've been frustrated for the past 3 days becuase i haven't been able to figure any of this out...
Computer Specs:
AMD Duron 1.8 GHZ + 256 MB RAM + ATI Radeon 7000 Series + 20gig HDD + PCChips K7 MotherBoard
happylrac

Post by happylrac »

I'm gunna guess and say you are aiming too high. If you are just getting your feet wet with c++, jumping into a FPS and expecting results is just asking too much.

You need to start small, making very simple apps with the engine to get used to it and c++. The apps don't have to do much, but you do need to learn more before whipping out a FPS.
TheHitchhiker

Post by TheHitchhiker »

Sounds like Rainbow Six clone. If you want anyone to even start thinking about working for beginer, you must have something INVENTIVE.
And learn c++.
Use the Source!

Post by Guest »

I need someone to help with the stuff I can't do and someone that can take the time to help me and explain to me the different aspects of C++ and Irrlicht as we go along...
Spend some time cracking the books and learn PROGRAMMING BEFORE YOU LEARN *GAME* PROGRAMMING!

Or pony up some serious $$$ for some one to "explain" it all to you.
So... no one cares or no one has the time? Which is it?
Both. People have their own projects and own goals.
I've been frustrated for the past 3 days becuase i haven't been able to figure any of this out...
Wow! Three whole days?!
Myth

Post by Myth »

Just learn C++ before you start, it saves you alot of time.
JOIN MY (100mbs 2x 3GHZ CPU) IRRLICHT FORUMS
http://irrlicht.halo4you.com/forums/
For all your programming quesitons and irrlicht ones!.

My fan site: http://www.halo-center.com

Post by Guest »

I agree.. it is a hard fact and it takes time but you must learn a language before thinking about programming ;)

C++ can be "picked up" in a month if you want a very shallow understanding of it (and start to use Irrlicht) but I would advise at least 6 months of proper c++ learning. I have been into C++ for two years and still have much to learn, you never really stop learning.

it is a first, big step, but it must be taken.

Attempting to do an FPS as a first game is surely guaranteed to knock your morale a year from now when you are only a third way through making it and are bored by it. trust me, newcommers ALWAYS aim to high, exciting by cloning their favourite triple A games.. it just won't happen. Take this for granted and save yourself a whole lot of time and tears.

.Learn c++ (aim for 1-2 years to be proficient - but you CAN start coding much earlier to maintain the excitment)

.After a month or two (once you know classes, pointers and basic program flow), start building test prototypes to get used to the tech.

.after 6 months write a SIMPLE game but make it complete and polished so you can feel proud of it. Keep it simple so you can finish it before you loose focus and incentive.

.Make another couple of these (you should get better/faster at it) and learn all the basics such as good interface and control design/programming - graphical tricks etc

.Now start on your "dream game" but be prepared for it to take at least two thirds as long as you think it will take to complete.

.HAVE FUN!! :)
area51

Post by area51 »

Most people just dont have the time to act as a personal mentor, better just keep asking specific questions on this and similar forums.

You don't need to go away and learn C++ first, just learn it as you go along with your Irrlicht project, I see no reason why you shouldn't do an FPS first, what makes them so hard?

Judging by your previous posts, you do seem to be learning anyway, just keep going, the easiest way to learn is by doing, and if games interest you, then write a game. :D
________
Atheism forums
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frobozz

Post by Frobozz »

Another thing you could do is take a class or two at a community college. I probably would have started a lot earlier if I had done just that - instead I used about two or three sites and their tutorials to learn. :wink:

Edit: Just thought that maybe I should have mentioned some sites.

http://www.cprogramming.com
http://www.cpp-home.com
http://www.gamedev.net
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

good thinking.

and damn is that a wicked sig hitchhiker..and thats the second time I've said it..truely awsome!