file format request

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Chris

file format request

Post by Chris »

Is there a possibillity to add the w3d (shockwave 3d) format to the engine.
It would be really helpful because it supports textures (uv's), animation (Bone + PLA) etc.

What do you think about this?

cheers,
chris
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, is there an editor which supports this format? Or are there good exporters for modelling packages?

Post by Guest »

no editor supports this format. :( and there is no converter for that format available. I ask because i model in C4d wich an just export static 3ds meshes. So there is no way to export animated characters. I know the w3d format from creating character animations for usage in Director.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

As I can read on the www, Cinema4d supports the .x file format as export. And the .x file format also supports animations. So you'll be happy with release 0.5 :)

Post by Guest »

:cry: the bad thing is ... that c4d is not supporting the animation feature for the *.x format

I got a good workaround for this problem ... model in c4d ... export to 3ds (because no converter can convert the 8.5 format from C4D) then load into Milkshape ... rig there ... then animate in CharacterFX and export as ms3d Ascii file then export as md2 ... that is very time intense ... but it's a solution. :?

I will push Maxon to implement an the animation feature to the *.x format.

greetings,
chris
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Ah, I understand. That's bad.
Or another solution would be to export to 3ds and export this in MAX to .x. But also not to quickes method.