Graphics won't start up in hello world program.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ThorbenLOSTpassword

Graphics won't start up in hello world program.

Post by ThorbenLOSTpassword »

Hi guys. I'm new to the Irrlicht- engine and i gut a little problem with the "hello world" Program. I'm using Dev-C++ and set it up correctly, copied the "hello world" program, adjusted to my file locations, compiled and ran. No problems. Didn't get any errors from the compiler, the prog startet up correctly and in the console window i got the following :

Irrlicht engine version 0.11.0
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Irrlicht Software Renderer
Loaded Texture: #Default Font
Loaded Mesh: c:/Program Files/irr1st/Object.obj
Loaded Texture: c:/Program Files/irr1st/tiles.jpg

Looking good so far. (I also tried with EDT_OPENGL btw)

The only problem: The mainwindow, whick should display beautiful 3D graphics only displays the text "Hello World! This is the Irrlicht Software engine!" from the
guienv->addStaticText(L"Hello World! This is the Irrlicht Software engine!",
rect<int>(10,10,200,22), true);
line and the rest of the mainwindow just stays gray.

I'm pretty sure that this is a pretty noobiish mistake but i couldn't find anythink about it searching the forums.
Help would be apprecdiated !
area51

Post by area51 »

It might be that your Maya mesh has been created slightly off center, and the camera cant see it.

Try moving the camera, or better still load it into the second tutorial and fly around a bit until you can see it.
________
Lamborghini 400Gt
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

dont forget to set a a big scale(my 3ds files show up as dots before i scale them)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

you can also set the target of the camera...

camera(rect 0,0,0 "rect 0,0,0 ")the second is target set it to model position...

I had simular problems with guice.
thorbenLOSTpassword

Post by thorbenLOSTpassword »

O.k., first off all thank you guys.
I'll try try it out today immidiately after work. :D
thorbenLOSTpassword

Allright. Checked if moving the camera or different meshexport options from my 3ds max would solve the problem. They didn't. Can't see any meshy thing on the screen, not even a dot.

But what's that whole scale thing you, Omaremad were talking about ? There wasn't anything in the "hello world" tutorial about scaling the mesh after import to the engine. On the other hand it sounds pretty logical that you have to give your mesh a scale in case the engine won't adapt the scale that was used in my 3d-prog which i doubt.

Could anybody please give me some information on that ? Didn't find any in either tutorial or the forum and i browsed a lot... Also i wouldn't know another reason why things don't work.
Frobozz

Post by Frobozz »

Have you tried using a renderer other than the software renderer? From what I understand it isn't complete. Try DirectX instead. :wink:
thorbenLOSTpassword

Yeah, tried opengl. Also didn't work. Gonna try directx now, but i don't know why software renderer and opengl both shouldn't work if the rest was fine. And how about the whole scaling thing ?
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

node->setScale(core::vector3df(1000,1000,1000));//increses scale by 1000
thorbenLOSTpassword

Thanks a lot omaremad. Will try that today. I wonder why nothing about it was in the tutorial. Really appreciate your efforts.