Blender DirectX Exporter update (Version 1.3.1)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

This may be more of a Blender problem, but I tried exporting a very simple model to .x using your exporter. The file produced only had a couple of "template" entries in it, no vertice data that I could see. I have no experience whatsoever with .x or Blender, so forgive my ignorance.

The Blender console says:

Code: Select all

Using Python version 2.3
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available.  Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.
exporting ...
... finished
And the produced file looks like:

Code: Select all

xof 0303txt 0032

template VertexDuplicationIndices { 
  <b8d65549-d7c9-4995-89cf-53a9a8b031e3>
  DWORD nIndices;
  DWORD nOriginalVertices;
  array DWORD indices[nIndices];
 }
 template XSkinMeshHeader {
  <3cf169ce-ff7c-44ab-93c0-f78f62d172e2>
  WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerVertex;
  WORD nMaxSkinWeightsPerFace;
  WORD nBones;
 }
 template SkinWeights {
  <6f0d123b-bad2-4167-a0d0-80224f25fabb>
  STRING transformNodeName;
  DWORD nWeights;
  array DWORD vertexIndices[nWeights];
  array float weights[nWeights];
  Matrix4x4 matrixOffset;
 }
What am I doing wrong? Despite what the console says, I have Python installed. Could this be the problem?
There are only 10 kinds of people - those that know binary and those that don't.
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

I'm not a blender expert, but it seems that you are not really using the exporter by Jox, the output looks like the standard directX exporter bundled in blender.
This is how the output should look:

DirectX8ExporterMod.py - mod version 1.3.1

Successfully exported 1 object in 0.02 seconds

filename : boh655.blend.x

object : Cube
verts : 8
faces : 6 (with 4 vertices)
has uv : no
materials : 1

The exporter exports only the selected objects.
It's not a problem if it does not found your phyton, maybe you have a too new version.
Have you registered your new directX8 script in blender? (set the window type to "user preferences", click on "file path" and at the right of "Phyton" there are two buttons, click on the one at left and Blender will search your scripts directory for new scripts.
By the way, thanks to Jox for this great exporter!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

you can also run the Jox script from the text editor(shift+F1), opening there, and alt+p

But I allways prefer to have well installed the pytthon version, not only blender.

I'f i am not wrong, if you have Blender 2.35 , 2.36, or 2.37 you need to have python 2.34 (download at python.org)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Opening the script itself and running it produces the same results as before. Also, there are two exporters, a "DirectX" and a "DirectX8" (which is Jox's exporter).

I have Bender 2.37 and Python 2.4.1. Anything I could be doing wrong with my Python installation (XP)?

Additional notes, after a little debugging

In the function "writeTextures()" I never get to the append command, seems my face.images seem to be null. What does that mean?
There are only 10 kinds of people - those that know binary and those that don't.
Phenix

Post by Phenix »

Blender has got a bundled directX8 exporter, are you sure you are not using that one? Jox's exporter is called DirectX 8 mod1.3.1 on the Blender's menu, and the output must be as shown above, I remember that when I tried to export with the standard directX8.1 exporter I got the same result as you, but I cannot confirm it because I've deleted it.
Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Phenix, you were dead on! I guess I have just earned the title of "Most Stupid User of the Day"...

Seems my old Blender version had their script files somewhere in /Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/Blender/.blender/scripts. After installing the new version 2.37 I assumed it stayed the same - but never really made certain of it. (<- that's the part with MSUotD) The new version seems to prefer /Program Files/Blender/.blender/.scripts though.

So after your comment about Blender having a built-in DirectX8 exporter I looked more closely and I had copied jox's exporter to the old directory. *blush* When I wanted to open scripts, or execute them, they naturally came from the new directory.

Anyway, it is working now so far, thanks for the help! :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

cool :)
finger007

Post by finger007 »

There's a 1.3.2 of the exporter now available!!

Thank you jox!
Downloading + testing right now :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

thanks, hadn't noticed...
finger007

Post by finger007 »

Works great on Blender 2.37a again!

Well done jox and thanks again!!