Skyboxes

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
madinitaly

Skyboxes

Post by madinitaly »

I can't seem to make a decent skybox... it never looks smooth, feels like being inside a small cube. :(
What software do you people use to make good looking skyboxes?
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

I used the free version of the Universe creator for my space skybox. You need to make the images you use really big to make them look good in the game. I use at least 1280x960 bitmaps on each side.

http://www.diardsoftware.com/
madinitaly

Post by madinitaly »

Thank you very much, I'll give it a try.
Anyway, still I think think problem is not in the dimensions, but in the contiguity. I made 1024x1024 images with Terragen, and I can see the edges of the (sky)box! That gives the claustrophobic sensation to be imprisoned inside a cube. A big cube, maybe :P but a cube anyway :D
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

I meant to say 1280x1280 in that last post. The good thing about a game in space is that its mostly black... mostly. So you don't have to worry about the edges being seen. But still I do sometimes get the "being inside a cube" feeling while looking around.

I wish Irrlicht had a circular skybox option... :idea:
SuryIIID

Post by SuryIIID »

I made 1024x1024 images with Terragen, and I can see the edges of the (sky)box! That gives the claustrophobic sensation to be imprisoned inside a cube. A big cube, maybe but a cube anyway
I think that's a bug in the OGL renderer , switch to DX mode and the edges will disappear.
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

I've been trying to create my own too. I thought about creating a scene and rendering it as a huge image... and do it for all six sides for the skybox.
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!