Irrlicht 64

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Irrlicht 64

Post by Guest »

Hi, Irrlicht works well with Win XP 64 like 32 bits engine. Has anybody compiled Irrlicht with 64 bit compiller? And what free 64 bit compiler was used? Also if someone get this, can say wheter any increasing of fps is detected with Irr64.
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

I'm sure you don't need an all new compiler. Just a few extra lines of code in your project.
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
area51

Post by area51 »

You will need a 64bit compiler.

VC++ Express I believe only comes with a x86 compiler.

Visual Studio full blown version comes with a x64 compiler, but is not free.

Maybe someone else will have more info, or has tried this out already.
________
Christianity forums
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

can´t gcc be used for 64bit compiling? (i dont really know, but there are also 64bit linux distributions and i guess they are compiled with gcc?? )

just a thought ...
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

I hope so, because I don't want to go Microsoft! :(
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

As far I know, it's can be used under Linux, but don't know any free 64 bit compiler for win 64.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
enni

Post by enni »

Of course gcc can build code for amd64 (and for IA64, UltraSparc, Mips, Powerpc ...)

I've tried Irrlicht on 64Bit- Debian and Gentoo some time ago.
The compiler warns about some wrong integer-Pointer-Konversion in the Mesh loader. And he is right about that, the Mesh loader will crash.

Except for that Irrlicht shold work quite well on 64Bits.
But dont expect an significant boost.
So fight high level languages, they make ours children forget the wisdom of the ancient gods
[G.o.D - Heise-Forum]
sRc

Post by sRc »

I want to add a little bit to this.

The Microsoft Platform SDK contains the build and linker files for x64 compiling. They are located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin\win64\x86\AMD64

I just tried it in Code::Blocks with those files under x64, and it worked quite nicely after I got all the libs linked to it I needed (also in the project options /MACHINE:AMD64 needs to be set instead of the /MACHINE:I386 that's set when importing the visual studio file.) I got an error when trying to run an app with it (something like d3d9_26.dll missing or something, just shut the machine down to go make dinner), I'll take a look at solving that later.

Theres an article here about configuring VC++ 6.0 and .NET to use those files:

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/21313/2046

I'll update this as I find out more information.

EDIT: Okay that was my fault, I forgot DirectX 9.0c changed the way the Direct3D libraries worked, so I didnt have the DLLs installed for my SDK (was pulling the DirectX SDK from another partition on my hard drive for 32-bit Windows). Installing the DirectX SDK got the DLL on there. (should be able to do it by just installing the redist from the Microsoft site, but I havent found an x64 DirectX 9.0c Redist. By the way the August SDK is out and the x86 Redist on the Microsoft website has been updated)

I'll do some different things and compare performance. Note I had to remove DX 8.0 from it (didn't have the 8.0 SDK so missing the headers)