Player Models

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Robomaniac

Player Models

Post by Robomaniac »

from the offtopic forum, Centaur Force thread :

I'm trying to implement player models right now, and i can't seem to figure out how. I can get the model to show, and thats fine, but I want to be able to use their hands for onscreen display. (holding a weapon, i want to have different hands depending on your model, would i just have the hands such that they show in front of the camera, or is there another way that i'm missing here. Thanks in advance.

--The Robomaniac
buhatkj

make models of arms and bind to FPS cam

Post by buhatkj »

maybe make models of arms and make them children of the FPS camera node. or make the arms part of the weapon model maybe? after all the player doesnt see their own body do they?
-ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
keless

Post by keless »

from what I understand, this buhatkj hit the nail on the head. At least in Urban Terror (a Q3 mod), I know that they have seperate models for the camera version of both players and models.

for instance, the non-camera version of a player is a full figured person, and the non-camera version of a weapon is a low-res version. The camera version of the player is just what is seen (usually arm and hand) and the camera version of the weapon is typically high-res (but with back faces already culled) and with highly detailed texture.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS