newbie: GUI-element for input or edit?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
wolf-heart

newbie: GUI-element for input or edit?

Post by wolf-heart »

Is there any GUI element for user input like the
MFC-class CEdit??
I searched the documentation but found nothing... perhaps I am blind?
Is there somebody out there, who had found this class or made
something like it, and could post me this source???

I want to make some forms the player can fill in.

thanks in advance
cochi

Post by cochi »

Sorry to disappoint you.

The corresponding element is still only on Niko's Todo list. I think you'll have to wait at least until version 0.5.0 for it.

Cya,
cochi
schick

IGUIEditBox

Post by schick »

well, there is no editbox support at the moment. I tried to write one but there is a little problem. Gui elements dont get any KEY_INPUT events. That means you have to catch KEY_INPUT events using your event receiver class and send them to the editbox object. I hope niko will change the gui environement class so every gui element is able to handle KEY_INPUT events. But until that change the code will look ugly if you try to write a editbox class.
keless

Post by keless »

I think it would be best if he implemented a 'focus' system.

This way 'every' GUI element does not have to receive key input (which means a lot of extraneous msg passing), just whatever has focus.

Focus is selected with the mouse, and only certain items need to take focus (though some items like windows could automatically choose one of their button children to take the focus from them). You could also implement a hot-key system, and a tab-focus system as well.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS