physics

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
VeneX

physics

Post by VeneX »

I don't really know the difference between ODE and Tokamak. Does anybody know which physics engine is the best?
In the ODE tutorial I see something I don't like. When the blocks are fallen and lying on the floor they are still a bit shaking. I don't know of this problem is resolvable?

I have still some problems with the Tokamak intergration
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=862
Visit my website @ www.venex.be
Plethora project will be added to the site
AMD AthlonXP 2600+, 512MB DDR, Radeon M10 (mobile 9600) PRO 64MB, WinXP
schick

physics engine

Post by schick »

There should not be a real difference between Tokamak and ODE except that ODE is open source. But in fact there is a better documentation of Tokamak (code examples). ODE has no code examples but if you read the manual everything should be clear enough.

You should be able to stop the shaking by rewritting the Collusion Callback function. I cannot help you in that place because i couldnt compile the tutorial myself (see problem below). But you could try something like if the current force is equal to the gravity and it collide with the floor dont add a contact joint or/and update the position.

Question here:

Is it possible to add mesh nodes in Tokamak without using a sphere, box or whatelse geom, for example a q3bsp map? I think only ODE can handle meshes using OPCODE (dohh, see below).

Has anyone compiled a ODE lib with OPCODE support for DevCpp (ODE does fine but OPCODE failes). After trying it 4 times i surrendered because adding ODE to my project doesnt have any priority. But if someone has a compiled OPCODE lib using DevCpp, it would realy be nice to upload it.

schick
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Tokamak has the ability to handle terrain meshes. I have not tried this out so I don't know the specifics. Outside of the terrain, you cannot use meshes, everything is done with bounding boxes, or custom collision handling.
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

I thought tokamak is opensource, too.

As far as you know, there isn't the ability to set physics to an ms3d model?
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

No Tokamak isn't opensource.. Currently it's free but I believe that is just to increase its userbase for when Tokamak 2 comes out (sometime this year).
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

:shock: ...

:? So, it's better to use ODE
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Well maybe.. here's a question for everyone: ODE uses the GNU Lesser General Public License. Does this mean if you use ODE you have to release the source code for your project, or do you just have to make available the source code for ODE (eg link to their web page)?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The LGPL has some requirements, but forcing you to release your code in a certain format isn't one of them.

Irrlicht is LGPL also, so just read it's license agreement to see what all you need to do.
Crud, how do I do this again?
VeneX

Post by VeneX »

Is it possible to load models with ODE or Tokamak? And is there a tutorial of it?
schick

models = meshes

Post by schick »

ODE:

If you define model as md2 or whatever, maybe a q3 map, have a look at the ODE tutorial at http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut-ode.html. The tutorial also shows how to convert the Irrlicht meshes into quaternion used by ODE. ODE uses OPCODE (it's a collision libary) to calculate the physics on such trimesh geoms. So you need to have a working OPCODE lib. Else you need to use predefined geoms like box, sphere etc.

DevCpp:

The tutorial has a working lib for visual studio but it aint working with DevCpp. If you can build one, it would be great to upload it somewhere.

Tokamak:

As far as i know there is not possible to load meshes and handle them with Tokamak.