Blender to .x to mesh viewer to irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
LessonSkipper

Blender to .x to mesh viewer to irrlicht

Post by LessonSkipper »

Hi sorry if this has been asked before but its about Blender and irrlicht
I can export my model from blender to the .x format and then display it in the directx meshviewer correctly with colour, but when I load it into Irrlicht (using the hello world program) my mesh comes out white. Why is this?
And are there any tutorials to help people with this problem?
I'm using the DX exporter mod 1.3.2
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

I do blender->.x->Irrlicht when the mesh goes white for me it means that Irrlicht can't find your texture files. The console should report out problems in trying to locate textures, so you should be able to confirm if this is really the problem.

HTH
LessonSkipper

Post by LessonSkipper »

Hang on, does the .x format support Blenders materials?
And can you actually get a fully coloured Blender mesh in with animation? (this is just a bit of inspiration for me to keep trying to get in models using Blender for irrlicht instead of switching to OGRE or something because I think Irrlicht is Awesome!!)

Another thing: why is the exact positionig in the DX meshviewer of a model different in Irrlicht when you load a model
eg. My model is upright in the meshviewer but in Irrlicht its lying down
Electron

Post by Electron »

the .x exporter does export textures, but I have problems sometimes and I've never been sure whether this is a bug in the exporter or simply my faliure to understand blender's material system. If you set a texture in the Image/UV window I believe that texture will be exported. Sometimes the exporter write a material(null) at the top of the mateirals list, which must be removed by hand. Im not sure what's up with that.
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

Check this puppy out:

Completely done in blender and moved to x

It is possible to get a blender animation into Irrlicht via x without any hand editing of the file.

To get a blender material to x you will have to bake it (eg. procedural wood) that is an option in blender.

The jox exporter from mindfloaters.de will write out the UVs and point to your texture bitmaps. If you are interested, I can send you the blend files associated with the model at the url.

PM me if you'd like the blend file.
melon2004

Post by melon2004 »

hey, you should use 'search' option more often ;)

check out this: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=7375

(I've attached some screenshots)
LessonSkipper

Post by LessonSkipper »

This is good but I'm still having trouble
this is what I have tried
-made a basic cube in blender and exported to .x
-put the mesh in irrlicht (using getmesh() etc.)
-scaled up my mesh a bit
-set a basic materialtexture using gettexture (its a half red half yellow bitmap)
-ended up with a single mixed colour????

I did the exact same thing with the sydney.md2 model and it worked fine eg. half red, half yellow sydney mesh

So why wont my mesh go half red half yellow??[/img]