Exporting animated model from 3ds max

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
bitmapbrother

Exporting animated model from 3ds max

Post by bitmapbrother »

Using 3ds max 7 and latest panda exporter. Cant export animation - already tried all exporters settings ... but all I got is static model ... getting crazy ... someone was succesful in this?

Max model here: http://bit.ic.cz/misc/captain.zip (36KB)
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Not avaible in irrlicht (<- 3ds animation). I advice you should use MilkShape 3d (it is free for 30 days) import 3ds file (hope that animations will be imported if not u have to make it again) after that just use .ms3d file format or export your model with .md2 file format.

To find just type milkshape in google and u will get multum of links.
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

I am exporting to ".x" using panda exporter not to ".3ds".
".3ds" format cant handle skeletal animations.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Panda is a bit quirky, in my experience.
Hwo are you going about creating the model?
You need to use bones and attatch meshes to them, prior to setting any keyframes.
You need at least two keyframes, of course.
Other than that, its just a matter of the correct settings in the exporter.
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

I know how to create model and skeletal animation I just dont know how to export to .x :(
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Have you seen this thread?
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... a+settings

How complex is your animation?
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

Yes I read about exporting on several forums already. Animation is simple - u can check - in my first post is link to download - its only 36 kb zip.
area51

Post by area51 »

Have you tried the Quest3D .x exporter, that's what I use and have found no problems with it.

http://www.quest3d.com/index.php?id=102
________
Weed
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WToma

Post by WToma »

As I read the Panda pages I found that max7 is not supported by panda. I checked out Quest exporter but they doesn't support max7, only 4-5-6. It is said that you get a max7 .x exporter plugin with dx9 sdk. But on microsoft downloads in a note you can read that "this package does not include [...], the x exporter, [...]".
So if somebody has it, please post here. (Or alternatively send it to me in email :))
Toma
"This is not a bug, this is a feature!"
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

Then u read them very badly coz latest 4.6.0.57 is recommended for 3DS MAX 6.0+ CS4.2 and 3DS MAX 7.0. I got directx 9 exporter plugin for 3ds max 7 but it crashes max.

Uploaded here: http://bit.ic.cz/misc/dx9exp_max7.zip

Maybe u will have more luck using it.

Till now I got best results using pandas exporter but no usable animations at all maybe I have to setup them again coz they r imported from .mdx file and it looks something is broken.
WToma

Post by WToma »

You were right. I didn't check the version numbers :oops:
The DX-exporter doesn't work, max sais "failed to initialize plugin"
and I got the same results with Panda as you. Got no idea why it refuses to work.
Toma
"This is not a bug, this is a feature!"
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

I've been using the Panda Exporter with moderate success. I'll download your file when I finish my real work day and try it out.

The DX9 exporter is installed automatically when you install the DX9 SDK, but I've had no luck with that. There are no options for anything the way there is with Panda.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Well, I checked out your model.
All I've used before is the Physique modifier instead of the skin modifier.
I would suggest that route.

By the way, how did you go about modeling this?
I didn't see any named element and there were a bunch of root vertices.
If your not going to use character studio, I'd suggest modeling with primitives and using the Physique modifier and attaching it to IK Bones.
bitmapbrother

Post by bitmapbrother »

After installing DXSDK was DX9 exporter added to max7 automatically - no problem but as I said it crashes 3dmax on my machine. I also tried Quest3d exporter for 3dmax6 with 3dmax7 and it works (of coz no anims exported for my broken model). So it looks panda and quest3d exporters r usable with 3dmax7.

That model is not made by me it is imported from .mdx file. I am going to clear it and I will try to setup animations myself.
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

Yeah, I spent a few minutes dropping everything but the objects and dropping the skin modifiers, but when I tried to assign vertices to new bones there were serveral "root" vertices that would not move with the bone, so it would just drag.
I've never messed with this type before, so I don't know if/how you could change the vertex type.
I didn't have a lot of time last night it, though.

Good Luck.