IRRLICHT 0.12 IS OUT!! HELL YEAH

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

IRRLICHT 0.12 IS OUT!! HELL YEAH

Post by Guest »

muahahahahahahahahaha the new irrlicht release is out now!!!

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

look at the changelog, it seems that this is the best release since a long time !!!

lets dance!!!!! :D :D

i love you niko!

Post by Guest »

the detail mapping looks great!!

also i got a major fps boost of 70fps !!! (irrlicht 0.11 = 170fps, irrlicht 0.12 = 240 fps, both in opengl)

unfortunately i have to sleep now (tomorrow i have to go to school again) but then i´ll check things out!! peace!
FlyHigh

Post by FlyHigh »

Wow this update looks pretty packed, (that 4 versions of irrlicht now I've been here for.)

Good job on balancing out the OpenGl driver as well (i'm looking at you William Finlayson :) )

Out of interest what was reasoning behind RTTI in IGUIElements being added? Because I've made 4 custom gui elements for my game so far, will i have to change anything? (I assume not, but just checking)

(Wish I woulda waited one more day to write the timer code in)

Anyways well done on version 0.12, and can someone explain what "Create a scripted building framework for automating SDK creation" mean?

Great Job, Keep up the good work!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

This has been a great week; Carmack releases quake 3 and Niko releases 0.12!!! :wink:

I love the new specialfx example. Finally 2 layer materials look as they should in opengl!!!

thnx Niko!

testing thoroughly.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The ZIP file unzips into the current directory (at least under Linux) instead of unzipping into an Irrlicht specific sub-directory. I had to manually delete the files and re-unzip it.

ALso I still get this under Linux:

Code: Select all

g++  -c COpenGLDriver.cpp -o COpenGLDriver.o -I"include/" -I"zlib/" -DIRRLICHT_EXPORTS=1
COpenGLDriver.cpp: In member function ‘void irr::video::COpenGLDriver::loadExtensions()’:
COpenGLDriver.cpp:393: error: ‘glXGetProcAddress’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [COpenGLDriver.o] Error 1
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

I had this problem as well, I fixed it by adding #define GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY above the includes in COpenGLDriver.cpp and re-compiling the engine :) The topic that suggested this was for a problem with Irrlicht 0.11.0, but it seems to work for 0.12.0 as well - http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... =glx#43715
William Finlayson

Post by William Finlayson »

[edit: oops, beaten by AlexL :)] I've been scratching my head about that Linux error, I still couldn't say why exactly it happens, but just adding

Code: Select all

#define glXGetProcAddress glXGetProcAddressARB
somewhere suitable (linux defines) is a work-around if you get this error. I'm not sure, but it might be an nVidia thing, I only have boxes with nVidia cards, so I can't test the theory. What graphics card/OpenGL implementation are you using?

@Niko: Congrats on the release! The engine is really becoming advanced, but you are still managing to keep hold of it's greatest asset: keeping it simple to use, and easy for developers to get to grips with.

@FlyHigh: Thanks :D but the credit should go to Niko, he was kind enough to take the time out to look over my submissions and get it up to scratch for inclusion. I was just happy to be able to give something back to Irrlicht. From the development page though, it looks as if Niko is going to try out a subversion server. Right now I really can't complain about the great job he is doing with Irrlicht, but if it encourages more people to lend a hand then it can only be a good thing.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm using a GeForce 6600GT. I just hacked the OpenGL driver to get rid of the compile error, so that's good enough for me for now. :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Odd the terrain demo speed is directly proportional to the number of the triangles being drawn - the more drawn the faster it runs. :?

Post by Guest »

Fred wrote:Odd the terrain demo speed is directly proportional to the number of the triangles being drawn - the more drawn the faster it runs. :?
Imagine if that held true for everything ;)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

sweet 8)
cpprules

Post by cpprules »

abnormal increase of FPS!
CRPG, FRPG, Oblivion Fan
Hater of Counter Strike (i hate it so much damn it)
Fred

Post by Fred »

If I'm at the height of the terrain looking around me at the local bumps I get about 350fps. If I then zoom out and view the whole terrain (scaled to about 20, 2, 20) I get anywhere up to 1000fps!

I'm going to have to profile the library the terrain demo and see what's going on. This is the opposite to what I would expect.

Any thoughts Niko?
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

It's because of the LOD implementation of the terrain. When you're zoomed very far out, you're viewing each patch of the terrain at it's lowest LOD, which is the fewest triangles. It's working as intended! ;)
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

woo! yey! I can't wait to try this out :D
thank you Niko!