suitable for academic projects?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
pailan

suitable for academic projects?

Post by pailan »

Hello, I'm a student looking for a 3d engine for a ecosystem simulation project. Irrlicht seems to be a good one, but I wonder whether it is stable enough or not - I couldn't spend time waiting for patches and things like that(don't even think of fixing bugs :) ). The simulation is going to be graphically simple, but 2d interface widgets are needed, and I've noticed they're not still coded completely.
Could anyone advise me about the suitability of the Irrlicht engine for my purposes? Also, I'd appreciate someone telling me about how easy to learn the API is.
Thank you all.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hi, I'll answer very short:
  • The engine is stable. Lots of people are already developing application with it.
  • Lots of 2D widgets are already supported. If there are some missing, it is easy to add new ones by yourself. In the next release (0.5) there will be some more, like edit boxes and tab controls.
  • Irrlicht is one of the most-easy-to-learn 3d engines.
So the answer to your question is yes. :)
mariusz_p

Post by mariusz_p »

niko wrote:Hi, I'll answer very short:
  • Lots of 2D widgets are already supported. If there are some missing, it is easy to add new ones by yourself. In the next release (0.5) there will be some more, like edit boxes and tab controls.
BTW: When the next release (0.5) will be made?

Post by Guest »

Thanks niko.