exporting directx models with armatures in blender

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Rabid Mantis

exporting directx models with armatures in blender

Post by Rabid Mantis »

I'm using the Directx8 mod1.3.2 I found on these forums, and I can export models fine with it, but if the model has armature in it, meshview crashes when I try to load it.

I did some searching around, and read in different places about things I should try:

-set all origins to 0,0,0 and the same rotation
-make sure bone and material names have no "." in them

I did that, and i still get the same problem. Is there anything else in particular I need to do or not do to export it properly with an armature and animations?
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

is that the Irrlicht meshviewer that it crashes on? I've exported from blender to .x just fine. Could there be no uvs? Maybe that freaks it out.
Foole

Post by Foole »

Does the blender exporter give any error message? From my experience, if you have armatures, haven't set up Weight Painting and the "Export xSkinMeshHeader" is turned on, the script will crash and you will get an incomplete export file.

Turning off the xSkinMeshHeader option fixes this.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

also the blender mesh cant be composed of 2 meshes merged together
Rabid Mantis

Post by Rabid Mantis »

the models have uvs and export fine if I remove the armature. I'll try turning off xskinmeshheader when i get the chance. thanks.
Rabid Mantis

Post by Rabid Mantis »

allright that worked. thanks :D

Now Im wondering though, why it isnt being animated in the mesh viewer. I picked the option to export animations, but it isnt showing up in the viewer. Does the viewer only consider the mesh itself and not the skeleton when animating, or should my animation be showing up?