A Modelling Tutorial

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Jeffrey

A Modelling Tutorial

Post by Jeffrey »

Somebody know's where can I find an tutorial for modelling for irrlicht? I can make a model for irrlicht, but i don't know what to do to make it animated:). ex. We can find many models in Internet, ex. for Quake 2, in Code we just write Run, stay etc. And they are doing it:) How can i animate my model? I understand that i must do that in an 3d program.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Use blender.

Post by Guest »

But how can i animate it in blender? I mean how can i separate running etc. to use it later in the code?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

But how can i animate it in blender? I mean how can i separate running, stand etc. to use it later in the code?

Post by Guest »

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewforum. ... b37843d607

ALSO
There is this AWESOME new site about just what you are looking for !!!!!
http://www.google.com/
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I looked before on that awsome new site:P but i didn't find on it the answer:P Thx for this first page:D I'm sorry about my english, i'm from poland:)

Post by Guest »

Jeffrey wrote:I looked before on that awsome new site:P but i didn't find on it the answer:P Thx for this first page:D I'm sorry about my english, i'm from poland:)
1. if you dont know english well enough you wont get far in game development anyway, so stop using that funking excuse (this is regarted towards ALL NOOBS)

2. if you dont find it via google it does not exist (which means, you are too stupid to search right because google knows EVERYTHING)
ThommyE

Post by ThommyE »

GFXstyLER wrote: 2. if you dont find it via google it does not exist (which means, you are too stupid to search right because google knows EVERYTHING)
...even my favorite underpants :wink:.

i know evry start is hard, but most things you can figure out yourself quite easy. (nothing against newcommers i was one myself and i like to help if they need help but...still a stupid question)
anyway i'll give you a few short advices.
first of all. you dont have to make your "run" in a "3d program", you might do that but.. see yourself:

1.if you dont know how to animate a model in blender, read the blender-manual and/or the beginner tutorials (its possible to find the blenderhomepage via google ;) )
i dont think thats what you asked but your question was not very specific.

2.if you dont know how to seperate the single animation sequences in irrlicht (that would be a question belonging here..more or less,well perhaps not really but it could be asked,i guess^^)
-just notice the start and end-frame of all your animation sequences,
-export your model ,
-read the irrlicht api-docu (the part about how to load animated meshes -look 4 your modelformat there)
-now you should be able to define single sequences.
-if you have a lot of different models with different frame-counts for the same animation (lets say 50 different reload animations with 50 different weapons and different frame-ranges) you should write a xml file to make live easyer 4 your programmer.

2b). i think i read something about framegroups in X-files, i also belive you can seperate model from animation but i dont know hot wo use them neither do i know if irrlicht supports this way of animation.
this way you should be able to give a name to the single animations.. like walk , run etc

if your're using the first method remember that some editors start counting frames with 1,2,3,4,...(i.e. milkshape) and irrlicht AFAIK starts counting with 0,1,2,3,4,...
its pretty easy to modify the irrlicht modelviewer example to set a frame-range beeing animated, very useful for debugging your modells/animatons.

Post by Guest »

oh and excuse me beeing so unfriendly (but it still was a stupid question ;) )
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

give the guy an answer.... just do a animated sequnce in a 3d modeling program that you understand, and export the animation through a format that can keep an animation , for that usage I recommend .X format, becouse it has a lot of documentation about itself, so you can learn how to push it to irrlicht with all the features you may want, and directX has got all you can reach for in your graphic....as an exporter I know only PANDA for 3d max, I can't recall any blender exporters
what is this thing...
luckymutt

Post by luckymutt »

give the guy an answer?
He was asking about a blender specific question...
But how can i animate it in blender?
He was directed to the blender forums and google.
just do a animated sequnce in a 3d modeling program
That is what he is asking how to do.

I think he got the correct answer...being pointed to the direction that he can get help. :)
sRc

Post by sRc »

GFXstyLER wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:I looked before on that awsome new site:P but i didn't find on it the answer:P Thx for this first page:D I'm sorry about my english, i'm from poland:)
1. if you dont know english well enough you wont get far in game development anyway, so stop using that funking excuse (this is regarted towards ALL NOOBS)
like hell. I'd like to see some non-english company get super-big just to spite you. oh wait, I just have to look in Japan and I'll find a ton of them :P

It's a perfectly valid excuse. English isn't their first language, its gonna be their second, or even third language. Language is hard to learn. You think you can just pick up a book in a foreign language and instantly be able to speak it properly? Not hardly. The fact that he can do it moslty correct is commendable enough. Man, if you met my high school English teacher he would rip you up one way and down the other for treating someone that doesn't have English as their native language that way.

This is the internet, not the Englishnet. Once you are able to go around and not find any native English speakers that don't know how to speak it, then you can start complaining about foreingers not able to speak it.

¬_¬
area51

Post by area51 »

Originally posted by GFXstyLER:

Thats just plain ignorant
________
THE CREATIVITY MOVEMENT (FORMERLY KNOWN AS THE WORLD CHURCH OF THE CREATOR) FORU
Last edited by area51 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

area51 wrote:
Originally posted by GFXstyLER:

Thats just plain ignorant
1. shut the hell up
2. most tutorials about game development/c++/whatever is written in ENGLISH
3. most opensource-applications homepages are written in ENGLISH
4. ENGLISH is the language which is spoken by the most people on earth (not as their first language, but still they know ENGLISH)
5. c++ is ENGLISH (or do you know some turkish c++ commands?)
6. ENGLISH is the most easiest language that one could possibly learn (i just count bigger language, dont come up with some african language that is used by a tribe of 100 people or something like that)
7. my personal opinion is that ENGLISH will DOMINATE the whole earth in the future and all other languages will disappear

is that enough?!
ThommyE

Post by ThommyE »

GFXstyLER wrote: 1. shut the hell up
2. most tutorials about game development/c++/whatever is written in ENGLISH
3. most opensource-applications homepages are written in ENGLISH
4. ENGLISH is the language which is spoken by the most people on earth (not as their first language, but still they know ENGLISH)
5. c++ is ENGLISH (or do you know some turkish c++ commands?)
6. ENGLISH is the most easiest language that one could possibly learn (i just count bigger language, dont come up with some african language that is used by a tribe of 100 people or something like that)
7. my personal opinion is that ENGLISH will DOMINATE the whole earth in the future and all other languages will disappear

is that enough?!
... are you sure about this?... well MANY people know english, but if i remember there is a small tribe living in a land called china (or something like this;)).
most programming languages are written in english ...might be due to fakt about english beeing wolrd-language (but remember german was nearly elected to be world language, guess it was 1 vote difference when they decied on this one)

end after all. WHAT'S THIS ALL ABOUT??
i mean'm still learning inglish in school so what?. noone's english is perfect, there isn't even a single "real" english .. there are BE/AE and countless other dialacts all over the world.
The goal of a language is not to master the grammar perfectly or writing posts in forums or getting good marks in school. I think language exist to let people comunicate with each other and i had not really a problem understanding what he asked ( ok maybe cause he didnt clear if he needs a animation or an animation-export tutorial, but thats not the point).
as long as we all understand what he's saying its ok, isn't it? and if we dont we can ask him/her to ask it in a different way.
... is there still someone who's insisting on a perfect english?.. well if there is. read your gramma books but no forum posts

greetings
thommy
PS: dominating the world is a really bad idea... but i guess peolpe will never learn this one .. not befor they blow up the hole earth