Venting....

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
saigumi

Venting....

Post by saigumi »

Ok, for those of you that read my posts or blog, I'm religious about licenses and ethical practices...

Well, today I found out that someone had used code from one of my MIT-licensed Open Source plugins.

While it's not necessarilly a bad thing, he didn't post notice of this and is telling me that he didn't take them and is calling me a liar.

http://vnboards.ign.com/AC_Utilities/b5432/61449938/?16

http://eltank.homedns.org/messageboard/ ... 5048#15048

Now this makes me mad.
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

As I already wrote as comment on your blog. (Hey, this means I'm reading your blog BEFORE this forum :wink: :)
That's the problem with open source. I also thought about stopping to develop open source software many times, because I'm seeing my code being posted into forums and appearing in other software too, without my name on it. OK, my licence allows this, but it is not nice at all.
But on the other hand: I'm developing for fun, and if I don't release my work, no one will ever find it useful. So I keep on coding open source software. :)
keless

Post by keless »

I've been writing tutorials, which have helped many people. And I've also seen those same people create some pretty decent stuff, even based on my code, without mention.

First, in my case-- I learned from someone else's free code (though I do give mention in anything even remotely based off of someone else's code).

But even more, I think about the time I put into them. Especially since I encourage people to ask me questions directly. I spend about an hour a week tutoring people in AIM (got one padawan right now who's doing particularly well, and he's only in J.H.).

anyhow, I know most of them are going to forget to mention me. But it still makes me proud to know I taught them.

Of course, I'm not trying to belittle your feeling. It does suck. But unless you can track each of them down.. and argue with the ones who say they didnt take your code, even though all you want is for them to put your name back in.. unless you can do all that, you can still fall back onto philanthropy. If they made a good product, you can at least know you were part of it, whether they recognize your help or not. You know?

I'm all about developing for fun. And I'm definately about teaching other people, hopefully in a manner better than how I was taught. Trying to raise the bar of game programming.

Anyhow, I still hope you kick their butt. :wink:
qwe

Post by qwe »

niko wrote:As I already wrote as comment on your blog. (Hey, this means I'm reading your blog BEFORE this forum :wink: :)
That's the problem with open source. I also thought about stopping to develop open source software many times, because I'm seeing my code being posted into forums and appearing in other software too, without my name on it. OK, my licence allows this, but it is not nice at all.
But on the other hand: I'm developing for fun, and if I don't release my work, no one will ever find it useful. So I keep on coding open source software. :)
yes, keep it up. I actually think that licences such as the GPL are way too restrictive because they're viral(any derivitive work has to be under the same license). My ideal license would be something like:

1. Use this software for whatever you want. commercial, open-source, it's all good.

2. you MUST give me credit for anything you use it for, even if it's just in the readme or "end credits".
keless

Post by keless »

and dont forget:
--i am not liable for any stupid things you might do with it
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
qwe

Post by qwe »

lol, of course :D
zander76

Post by zander76 »

Hello,

Me personally, I believe that the opensource world was based on People working together for the fun of it. If someone finds a use for what I am doing for fun then great. Its was fun to do and it was beneficial. I have gone one step further then this and created my own lisence. Free (not gpl free for what ever that means) completely free. Free of cost and obligation. I don't think any lisence really deturse people from steeling your code.
I think all the lisences just get in the way, some people are not in a possition to contribute and others just don't want to and the people that don't want to I really don't want to have anything to do with them. If they are not doing it for fun then it just will not be fun to work with them.

Thats just me though. :)
Ben