Racing Modifications and a <dx8.h> problem

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
david-b

Racing Modifications and a <dx8.h> problem

Post by david-b »

Hey all.
This is what I want to do for a racing game: add 4 collision points to the main character as wheels. Example from a top view:

Code: Select all

1     2
   []---[]
      |
      |
   []---[]
   3     4
The wheels should be connected together and then by a central axis. I have no idea on how to do this b.c. im new to this engine. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

Also, when compiling the engine, i get this error: <dx8.h> not found. Where can I find this file. Thanks all

David
David Bonolo
schick

hmm...

Post by schick »

<dx8.h> not found
You haven't set up directx correctly, do it again.
This is what I want to do for a racing game: add 4 collision points to the main character as wheels.
Well, Irrlicht is a 3D engine. You can draw things on the screen as fast as lighting but you cannot calculate physics with it. Therefore you have to use another libary like ODE or Tokamak.

There are two tutorials on the irrlicht website, read them carefully. Also read the documenation of each lib. Here are the links:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut-ode.html the ODE tutorial.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut008b.html the Tokamak tutorial.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

You can create the axel and assigne the two tires as children to the axel. This would keep them in a set place.
Crud, how do I do this again?
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

And add a collisionResponseAnimator to the node. One of the tutorials deals with collision response. This won't give you correct physics, but may be simpler than adding a full physics library.
david-b

Post by david-b »

Do I have to have the DX SDK? I have the DX6 SDK. I don't think that'll work. :wink:

Anyway. What physics engine would you guys suggest for a racing game? And how can i add a collisionResponseAnimator to the node? and where would this be?
David Bonolo
tstuefe

Post by tstuefe »

david-b wrote:Do I have to have the DX SDK? I have the DX6 SDK. I don't think that'll work. :wink:
Simply download the DX SDK from Microsofts Homepage.

The latest DX9 SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

The DX81 SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

I'm not sure the DirectX 9 SDK is downward compatible - I would go with the 81 SDK to get all the necessary 81 documentation anyway, because in 9 lots of interfaces have changed.

... thomas
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

If you don't care about breakage, I think ODE is the better engine in terms of features. It supports mesh collisisons, while with Tokamak everything is done based on bounding boxes alone. ODE also has more joint types and better documentation.

If you do use a physics engine, you will not have to worry about a collisionResponseAnimator, as the physics engine does handles this for you. If you don't, check out the collision example you get by downloading Irrlicht 0.4. It nicely describes everything you need to know about the animator.
david-b

Post by david-b »

do I need a physics engine to do this? can i just use the engine itself without the physics engine? DX is too large to download. (Dialup)... Can I just get the dx8.h file to download? Well, that file needs the other dx files so it wont work... Never mind. THikning outloud.
David Bonolo
Boogle

Post by Boogle »

Thinking outloud with complete disregard for the backspace button.. :D

You don't need to use the physics engine. However, if you don't, that just means you'll have to implement your own physics for when your car hits something.. which could be simplistic physics if you want (eg reverse the car's velocity, shorten it for dampening effects). Using a full physics engine is nice though if you want to spend the time to incorporate it because it makes all movement look realistic, and makes it easy to add new effects (eg knocking around mailboxes if your car hits it).