animated model gift

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

animated model gift

Post by guest »

Hi.

I am happy to see directx format is advancing :)

I have made a model with a set of animations, and was planning to give it to dx engine coders...so I did, but seems Character Fx has a problem with the exported directx file, if the artist -me- made the skeleton mirroring bones...

kind of weird, as it can only be fixed by cfx authors(fixing the software)...not by any engine coder, or that i think.

I have written to cfx, but haven't got a reply, yet. Also, they're busy coding 1.4 much better version. I guess is better so.

btw, main intention of this model was for game indy author do use it as md2. Is like those quake3 arena or UT models...well, saving the distances, as I'm not that good ;) neither I had a powerful and featured animation software like Max and character Studio. But Character Fx, Ultimate unwrap and wings3d.

The texture of the model is not ended. but can do. and also, you can always repaint.

the texture of the weapon is not done. but you can always assign it one texture.

only the weapon he's holding has uvmapping, the other 2, not.

but again, weapon modellers are easier found than character modellers...

the weapons are simplistic, even humoristic. Change them if you want. Just link other weapon. Inside Character Fx ( www.insanesoftware.de full for 20 days I think, full with import export also ) relink the material, the weapon, etc, etc, etc...or, harder, but no time limited and freeware, Quake Modeller.(i have used it for other projects)

I have not exported the md2. You'll need to do so inside Character Fx. I said to myself no more time in this project, as none seem to use it(mainly none of ppl where I showed were doing an fps)...the interested ppl, cant because of the dx exporter bug... so...and now I'm very busy in other things, life (I may give free for comunity a dx-exportable martial arts fighting character in the future, but now I'm overloaded)

only when exporting consider: if ur engine happen to support spline interpolation...ideally is just that, export...but...I am afraid...md2 only supports linear. u can always just cross fingers and hit export as md2 and maybe the animations later on are correct...I just have not tested. I hope no quality is lost in the proccess...(the artist pride ;) )

so...it maybe needed you download and open Character Fx , open there the files I give you in the zip, and hit the big key icon in the keyframer window, once you are in animation mode...advance frame by frame,(cursor keys work, but must have the focus on keyframer window) hit the big key icon, to make every single frame keyframed...that'd mean a much heavier md2 (a mesh per frame, indeed) in memory-performance but...much more accurate with what I animated. The model is bellow 2,000 triangles.

heck, I should do this for you but it's so boring with the 211 frames(mst animations there) and the other two animation files...and I'm wasted.

lacks of a walck cycle, but has a run cycle, run -straffe, and run-to-iddle, iddle-to-run. I thought no need, as in quake3 arena and ut, ut2k3, I'm all the time running, I don't know you... ;)

If I'd had been able to do joint pinning and ik like with character studio, this file would be more perfect and with much more animations...

sorry, too lazy to register in the forum now.. ;)

luckily, 'guest' is allowed...

i posted a lot while back about directx format in irrlitch, as guest also.

to say, it's MUCH better to use directx8-9 format...But as I say, this model is wrecked...I may do yet the very last model animations I'll ever make in cfx...for a martial art fighter....and as I know the bug now, I wont mirror bones, so it'd be given in dx8 (tested, compatible with dx9 engines) as well as good old md2. I don't like md3 for segmentation, sorry, neither I can output it...also, I like to have control of the art final result... I don't want any model made by me in anyother form than dx well weighted, or md2, or soft skinned,(cfx can export all frames, each as OBJ or 3ds to act as keyframes, and/or picking only crucial ones, and softskin/interpolate in the engine) if done well... no md3, please...I don't wanna see more errors than those I already made...

the license is generous.You can tell. fully free for any comercial or non comercial games(also for irrlitch demos, etc). Just please read fully the readme, I know is a bit long, but quite a low "price" for alll the work... :) I only ask for some way of doing things, no problem for anyone; you'll see it's really a total gift.

I have another dx8 boned model animated...quite horrible, from when starting in cfx and animation...I prefer not to show, but would pass it to irrlitch author for tests, in case he needs. just for him.

the martial arts fighter...well, if it comes, would be better and cooler even than this fps one ;) , and dx usable, as well as md2. but is just as small possibility.

I also have that horrible one as md2.

but the ok FPS animated player model and 3 weapons is here :

DOWNLOAD (2,6 MB)

just u gotta do the weapon texture -mapping are done- and the md2 export of the 3 files... (I splitted as when frame list becomes huge, cfx is uncomfortable)

if u ask me, yet so, cfx is quite cheap for the huge amount of stuff it offers...Max natively dunnot export either to dx8 or md2, for example.

I'm just moving to use other tools than cfx.

enjoy...

if anyone does...

Post by guest »

feel free to post comments, problems..

Post by guest »

well, did someone tried it already..?

just bumping a bit...
powerpop

Post by powerpop »

i am only using md3 models in my app - so this md2 one doesnt help much - but i am all for free animated models for indy developers! - can you post snapshots of this one and others you are working on?

Post by guest »

[one of these days I should register in the forum...too lazy... ;) ]

...yes...

here there's another character I made...lack of time to reorganize the already mapped groups, and texture it...it was for a 3d martial arts fighting game, anyaway, also the coder had more or less stopped...

http://www.freewebs.com/sysiphus/

and here ...

...screens from the model which is the one several posts above there to download....remember you need to download the Character Fx demo package, ( www.insanesoftware.de ) at least to make the conversion (if u fall in love with it, also to purchase it...)

you'd better modify the skin, though, drastically, as it is a model given away in several places... a texture would change it all...

only md2 would work. Or isoalted exportad objs or 3ds per frame to make softskinning...some weird stuff makes impossible to use dx boned format, for example...I made certain error which cause this...md2, or OBJs, no problem...