making a good quality scene (contains an image)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
aerial

making a good quality scene (contains an image)

Post by aerial »

Dear Friends

I made a scene with 3ds max & exported it to my3d format.
It's ok, loaded in Irrlicht,
The problem is I don't like the quality,
for example when 2 perpendicular surfaces join together,
the joining line between them is not a smooth line,
Please see the picture I uploaded from the scene,
The edges are not clear,
I have shown them on the picture:

and this is the code i used:

http://www.geocities.com/as15ir/irr.txt

could anyone please help me, ?
WToma

Post by WToma »

Maybe antialiasing could help it a bit, but looks strange, anyway.
Toma
"This is not a bug, this is a feature!"

Post by Guest »

That my friend is the zbuffer problem.

Firstly try enabling StencilBuffer - that SHOULD get rid of it. However that is not ideal for low end systems. So you can either implement 24bit nostencil in your renderer or SCALE DOWN your mesh a large amount - the smaller mesh will place less burden on the zbuffer which has finite resolution from far to near clipping planes. The smaller the meshes the easier on the zbuffer. Again not ideal but should work.

Post by Guest »

I forgto to add - obviously make your far clipping plane a lot closer after scaling down the meshes - something like 1000 or less . it just works though it is not ideal.
puh

Post by puh »

Change your code:

Code: Select all

IrrlichtDevice* device = createDevice(driverType, core::dimension2d<s32>(1024, 768), 32, false, true)
aerial

Post by aerial »

Thanx for your guidance,
Anonymous wrote:That my friend is the zbuffer problem.

Firstly try enabling StencilBuffer - that SHOULD get rid of it. However that is not ideal for low end systems. So you can either implement 24bit nostencil in your renderer or SCALE DOWN your mesh a large amount - the smaller mesh will place less burden on the zbuffer which has finite resolution from far to near clipping planes. The smaller the meshes the easier on the zbuffer. Again not ideal but should work.
Do you mean I should scale down the scene in 3ds max and export it?
It didn't work. any other idea?
puh wrote:Change your code:

Code: Select all

IrrlichtDevice* device = createDevice(driverType, core::dimension2d<s32>(1024, 768), 32, false, true)
puh , thanx better quality with that code, But still not that much interesting.
Actually when I render the scene in 3ds max it's very sweet, and the quality is good,
but when I use Irrlicht I face to the problem, I think the Irrlicht renderer is not a powerfull one or I haven't set the best configuration.
Could anyone help me ?

Post by Guest »

Download some skyboxes and see how its done. Join the planes, make them quads and check out the normals. Skybox is just a normal cube, with normals point inwards. Check if its better if you set it to smooth. Guess you prolly have crappy 3D-Soft. Use Blender.