IS SCRIPTING IRRLICHT DEPENDENT

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
green_algae

IS SCRIPTING IRRLICHT DEPENDENT

Post by green_algae »

is scripting engine dependent or language dependent??

so for scripting in games do i have to look for C++ and Python
OR Irrlicht and Python binding.

also i am a newbie to scripting so will Lua or Python be preferred??
ThommyE

Post by ThommyE »

not shure 100% myself. but i would say you havt to look 4 irrlicht&python binding.
anyway. afaik scripting support isn't too goodso far. please correct me if i'm wrong.

y not try to write it in c++. it's quite easy even 4 me (just know enough about programming to make a CPU-stress-test in Basic).
athlon2400xp+,geforce4200ti, 0.2Tb hd+64mb extern, 512mb ram, linux FC5 2.6.16-1.2096, 100%gates-free system
WToma

Post by WToma »

The scripting engine is absolutely independent from the 3D engine. They have nothing to do with each other.
What's between the two - the actual game code (called 'game logic', I think, correct me if I'm wrong) - you have to write that.
Toma
"This is not a bug, this is a feature!"
SAL1

Post by SAL1 »

Scripting in games does not have anything to do with the 3d engine just like WToma said, however, with a good game script plugged into your game engine, you can do things like the actual game, AI, Behaviours, ...etc using only scripts.
And by using scripting, you can make your game modable.That gives gamers and modders the ability to create a game based on your game engine, or at least change somethings in your game.

You can do that with a script package, like python, Lua, GameMonkey, etc. It basically invloves defining functions that are specific to your game into the script, so let's say, if you wanted to move a space ship from point a to point b based on some condition, you could do: if something is true MoveShip(a,b) in a script, the pros of using scripting is that your scripts will be intrepreted in real-time so there is no need to recompile the game code everytime you changed something, besides, scripts will be much smaller and cleaner than coding the same tasks in C++ directly, the cons of scripting is that it's slow for processor critical tasks (something like the actual 3D engine for example :) )
I hope that helped a little :wink: