paths dont work in zip files...

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
buhatkj

paths dont work in zip files...

Post by buhatkj »

ive been having some trouble...
i use the MD3 loader in my project to load up md3 models for players, inside the pk3 archive, the models each have a folder for each player, and then 3 mesh files, head.md3, lower.md3, and upper.md3

the trouble is, that every player has the same named files. the obvious solution one would think is to enable paths when i do the addZipFileArchive("somefile.zip",true,false); and then specify the path when i load the mesh, like scenemgr->getMesh("/models/playername/lower.md3");

but it doesnt work!! it says file not found and dies on me. i tried it with and without the leading slash, but no difference. so if i turn the paths back off, and try to load up more than one model, they both get the same mesh!! because the addZipFileArchive call thinks it already has that file, so ignores the new one....

is there anything i can do about this? if not i guess i can repackage the pk3's im using and make it like playername-lower.md3 and rename them...
but i'd rather the paths worked of course!!
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
buhatkj

geez...little help??

Post by buhatkj »

wow, its been a whole day, i would thought id get a response by now....
hasnt anybody else even heard of this problem before??? or at least thought about it?

maybe its just me....
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
deps

Post by deps »

I have the same problem. But no solution. I just turn paths off and hopes for the best. :)
(i dont have any models or textures with the same name)
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hi,
They way adding .zip or .pk3 archives to the file system is done in Irrlicht is not very optimal for using it they way you need. I'll have to rewrite the part of Irrlicht, I think. And I have no temporarily solution for this. Maybe you could change the parts of the loader to fit it to your needs until this is fixed.
buhatkj

ok, i will try i suppose but i dunno...

Post by buhatkj »

well i will certainly try and see if i can fix it, but i did have a look at the code and im not sure in completely understand how it works to begin with, but i will do my best of course.

also, niko, i have a few little things i would like to submit to you for possible inclusion in 0.5
how do you prefer to receive such code contributions, email?
-Ted
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Email is best, yes. Just send it to irrlicht@users.sourceforge.net