Overlaying textures flickering

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JP

Overlaying textures flickering

Post by JP »

I've got this problem in my project, i have walls of my map all fitting together and each has a texture on each face, and when i have two walls coming together in a L shape the textures basically overlap each other at the corner and when the camera moves around with these overlaps in view they flicker between the two textures as to which is on top, and sometimes kinda combine both and look a little messed up (see picture). Does anyone know a good way round this? One way i've just thought of is to move one of the walls away just slightly so that the two textures arn't in exactly the same place, that should get rid of the problem, was just wondering if anyone else had any bright ideas?

Image Image Image
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Z buffer problem
Myth

Post by Myth »

How do you make a gui thingy that doesn't have a close button on it and has a fixed position?
JOIN MY (100mbs 2x 3GHZ CPU) IRRLICHT FORUMS
http://irrlicht.halo4you.com/forums/
For all your programming quesitons and irrlicht ones!.

My fan site: http://www.halo-center.com

Post by Guest »

AS spintz said - it is zfighting caused by 2 polys being too close - you can adjust the zbias (if you want to get down and dirty) but much better to place meshes properly and avoid overlap. Also look at reducing near/far plane ratios to increase zbuffer resolution.
JP

Post by JP »

Ok, cheers for that guys, should be easy to sort out.

Myth: the radar part of the GUI (ie the bit down the right hand side) is just a IGUIWindow and i've made the close button invisible by using: window.getCloseButton().setVisible(false);
The window can still be moved by mouse though, and whenever the left mouse button is clicked outside the window it makes the window flash, which is a bit annoying but i can't see a way round it (havn't looked much) and i don't think it will cause me any problems.

the log box part of the GUI (ie the bit along the bottom) is just a IGUIListBox placed at those coordinates.
Image Image Image
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

yeah I get that overlap problem as well. It happens when I shoot 2 shots, bilboard nodes, that are too close to each other and they overlap. I've sort of fixed it by making it harder for them to overlap, but somtimes they just have to overlap and it looks bad. It would be good if I could get the overlaping protion of one of the nodes to be invisable, but there may be a better way to do it, I havnt really put much time into fixing it.