Really OT

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

How many languages do you speak/read/write fluently? (not programming languages)

21%
33%
29%
4+
17%

Total votes: 24

[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Really OT

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

I was just looking over the Memberlist for the forum and noticing how I am one of the few users in the US. But this is an English speaking forum and everyone seems to speak it pretty damn good. I was just wondering if everyone, wherever you may live, speaks English as well as your native tongue and what age do you learn to speak it. You see, here in the US we of course have foreign language classes in school but most people do not take them seriously and cannot remember anything they've learned after class ends. I guess my point is that here in the US the majority of the people only speak English fluently while in other countries it seems to me like most people can speak/read/write multiple languages fluently. I feel like I'm slacking cause I don't remember too much from my high school Spanish classes and I took 2 yrs of Latin in College that I don't really remember much of, but hey, at least I'm fluent in over 12 programming languages!
FleshCrawler

Post by FleshCrawler »

hehe :) well, for now i speak Dutch, English and German, but i'm starting to learn Swedish also, might go and study in sweden in the future.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I'm from austria and I speak German, English, Italian and Latin. (Well speak latin? Hm, I've learned it.) Next semester I'll take a course in russian. I think that in Austria people tend to learn more languages, because it is just a small country and surrounded by lots of other countries with other languages. A friend of mine, for example speaks german, russian, english, spanish and frensh. That's a lot.. :)
Raumkraut

Post by Raumkraut »

Being half-German (techincally 1/4 German, 1/4 German-speaking Polish, 1/2 English), I know the odd word and can do a decent job of pronunciation, but I never learned the language. :(
I'm just starting to learn though (classes start later this month). I always feel that I'm losing out on something by just being monolingual...
Zaelsius

Post by Zaelsius »

I'm spanish. So, I can speak Spanish(we don't call it Latin.. mmm) and English, plus a regional language called Catalán(remember the Barcelona Football team, they speak in Catalán).
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

English is all I speak.

Because of 4 years of Latin in Highschool, I can read a little of any Latin-based language, but can't speak it back. Oral-ly, I can get bits and pieces from people speaking in Telegu, Hindy, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese because I hear it so often at work.
Crud, how do I do this again?
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

I speak English,russian,hebrew.
i studied also french but i don't remembear anything
WhytWulf

Post by WhytWulf »

Being a New Zealander living in Australia, I have really only needed the 1 language, English...though I have picked up a few words from other cultures, so I can say hello, good day , and bye. not really that useful but I have a hard enough time trying to stay un-brain washed and stooping to the Australian way of putting ..mate, and strewth, at the end of every sentence :)
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

Zaelsius wrote:I'm spanish. So, I can speak Spanish(we don't call it Latin.. mmm)
When I said I had 2 yrs of Latin in College I meant the ancient Latin language, not Spanish. Don't know why I took it, had to have a language and just wanted to be different.
Astinus

Post by Astinus »

I'm italian, I read english (fluently), write and speak the basic. I started study english too late :( and I need a course but I haven't the time! :(
When I was young english was a "sperimetal language" in our school...
Also I study french but, like Cleves, I don't remember anything..
Off course I speak/write italian (a good italian ;)) and sometime I can understand Spanish because my regional language ("dialetto veneto") is similar to Spanish :)
wornaki

Post by wornaki »

I am from Argentina. I can speak, read and write fluently both in English and in Spanish, but I may also speak, read and write fairly well in French, read in German and speak some Italian. I would love to know latin but unfortuntalely where I live it is difficult to find a decent course.
Cyber_Sneak

Post by Cyber_Sneak »

right now i live in da US but im originally from (French-speaking) Quebec. so i can speak English & French.
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
And the buffer's interupted and the interupt's not caught,
Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.....
indianbeard

Post by indianbeard »

My native language is "Malayalam" a south indian language. You may never have heard of it. In India there are more than 22 official languages.I can understand and read and write Tamil, Hindi etc.
Tamil to Malayalam is like German to Dutch.
I have studied German for two years but have forgotten most of the words.
Still I love the language for its word binding which reminds me of Sanskrit
which most of the Indian languages have taken root from.German and sanskit belongs to one mother language. And ofcourse some programming languages eventhough I am basically an artist.