Problem with OpenGL and Bitmaps

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Gambler

Problem with OpenGL and Bitmaps

Post by Gambler »

Hi, I'm new to this board, and I hope you can help me :)
We're working on a adventure game in 2D, a bit like Secret of Mana and for now all is running fine. But thats just if we use the Software Mode, DirectX is slightly washy, but OpenGL looks terrible. We're using plain bitmaps as graphic.
I know that you can adjust your OpenGL/DirectX Settings in the windows control panel, but that changed nothing..
Is there a possibility to change quality settings in the irrlicht device that it might look better?

I hope my problem sounds not that stupid, and sorry for my spelling :)
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

It would help to see some screenshots, but I guess you want to activate Mipmapping. This will precalculate optimized textures for your objects. And be sure to use dimensions of power of two for your textures.

Post by Guest »

Firstly if is is REALLY in 2D then DO NOT use mip maps (turn them off before loading all sprites/textures)

secondly - set the texture creation flag to "Optimised For QualitY" and see if that looks better :)
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

Thanks for your answers, I've uploaded three screenshots so that you can see our problem:
Software

DirectX

OpenGL

I've already set the OpenGL settings for my graphic card to the max, but there's no improvement. You're talking about mipmapping, where can I adjust those function within the Irrlicht engine?
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

Mipmap generation is disabled with

Code: Select all

driver->setTextureCreationFlag(video::ETCF_CREATE_MIP_MAPS, false);
and true enables them. Same syntax with keyword ETCF_OPTIMIZED_FOR_QUALITY enables optimized textures.
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

Thanks, now it looks much better with ETCF_OPTIMIZED_FOR_QUALITY enabled.
But it has thrown up a new one, now text in GUI windows is a bit squashed.
It seems the GUI is optimized for DirectX because there are no graphical problems with static text in a window - or am I mistaken?
Mhm, it's loading OpenGL 1.5, would there be an improvement with Version 2?
hybrid

Post by hybrid »

If the text was ok before you might want to disable optimizations again for text creation. Just enclose your texture creations of the game part with setTextureCreationFlag(...,true) ... setTextureCreationFlag(... false) and text will be the same as before. The flag is changeable for each texture that is used in your program, and it's stored with the texture.
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

Thanks a lot! :)
KingOfPain

texture size

Post by KingOfPain »

Hi,
I got a similar problem, But was fixed when i used images with size of power of 2 eg. 256*256.

cYa