c# vs c++

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
gopakumator1

c# vs c++

Post by gopakumator1 »

HOw does IRrlich.NET perform compared to Irrlicht. Im talking basically c++ and c# ( i dunno if what type of language u use in .Net matters really since they all compile to MSIL...i think)
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

i dont have the answer exactly to your question, but i do notice that the .net versions of irrlicht take a second or two to load, while the normal c++ type loads pretty much instantly. once running, i havent tested how fast they run.

Post by Guest »

If all you expect to develop for is a .NET enabled enviroment like MS or Mono, C# is a great language and not hard to learn. I'm coming from a C/C++ backgorund and learning C#...

However, that being said, standard C++ will open a lot of doors too and you can learn C# later as the two languages are very similar. I'd suggest checking out the MS site for more indepth info... or Google the .net...
Foole

Post by Foole »

Are talking about the difference between the languages or the difference between the irrlicht libraries?

The biggest difference I found between the irrlicht libraries was that it is impossible to add new features using .NET. eg If you want to add a mesh loader or animator, you have to do it in C++.

Post by Guest »

I began converting the Collision Detection C++ example a couple of weeks ago, but then abandoned it because the .NET wrapper is just too incomplete. It's also noticeably slower than the C++ version in FPS mode and I'm running an Intel 2.8GHz Xeon with 1GB RAM. When running around in the C# version it feels like I'm using only 2/3 of my system.

Personally, I'd stick with the C++ for developing until Niko gets this wrapper on an equal level (function-wise), or unless Foole can achieve the tremendous task of releasing a native C# version.

Post by Guest »

Foole wrote:The biggest difference I found between the irrlicht libraries was that it is impossible to add new features using .NET. eg If you want to add a mesh loader or animator, you have to do it in C++.
is this because niko's .net version is still too incomplete or will this never work? would be cool if there were a way to do this in the future.