Blender smells

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

Now if someone doesn't like an open-source project like Blender they can either try to help without bitching or shut the gently caress up.
Actually, that is not true. If the lead developers (such as Ton in Blender) do not want to include things that you develop in the main branch - they won't. This means that anytime they release a new version, you have to patch your features in & then release that on your own. After two or three releases - this becomes a little too tedious for most people who only want to release one or two features.

Sorry, but open source projects are just as susceptible to problems such as elitism and politics as are commercial projects (perhaps moreso given the profit motive behind most commercial projects). Some projects (such as Linux) have leaders who can rise above the issues. Others do not.

The quoted statement above seems to indicate a niavete about project development in the real world.

--EK

Post by Guest »

could you give more details? what feature did you propose or what did you implement and try to get into the main tree? some cad stuff? if yes, what exactly? just curious...

i am sure linus torvalds, niko (once irrlicht has subversion set up) and other benevolent dictators (or how this usually gets called in the open source world :)) also reject stuff. of course they can't accept everything! someone has to set the course of the project... if interests are too different then there have to be forks (with all their disadvantages).

Post by Guest »

Yes please some details for the "Irrlicht today" newspaper, hehe.
elander

Post by elander »

Eternl Knight wrote: Sorry, but open source projects are just as susceptible to problems such as elitism and politics as are commercial projects (perhaps moreso given the profit motive behind most commercial projects). Some projects (such as Linux) have leaders who can rise above the issues. Others do not.
So does imature people who enjoy badmouthing open source project leaders.
Eternl Knight wrote: The quoted statement above seems to indicate a niavete about project development in the real world.
What makes you think you know anything about an open source project more than Ton who is doing it for years with success. You are being very arrogant here.
cpprules

Post by cpprules »

i don't like blender too // it remineds me of 3dsmax
CRPG, FRPG, Oblivion Fan
Hater of Counter Strike (i hate it so much damn it)

Post by Guest »

Elander wrote:
Eternl Knight wrote:
The quoted statement above seems to indicate a niavete about project development in the real world.
What makes you think you know anything about an open source project more than Ton who is doing it for years with success. You are being very arrogant here.
Even more, Ton was the main director when Blender was also propietary (NaN company). And he was the one who wanted to return Blender to live because he thought that Blender should stay for free!.
Eternl Knight

Post by Eternl Knight »

*laugh* OK, so far I have been called a bitch, immature, and told to "shut the gently caress up". Until such time as you enter the debate with something other than ad hominem attacks - I feel no need to answer your questions.

My experiences have been that there is elitism in the Blender development team. You may feel otherwise - it matters not to me. I am not trying to tear down open source or Blender (this forum hasn't got anywhere near the audience to do either of those thngs). I, like others, expressed my opinion on the Blender project.

Open Source does not necessarily make the software good. Just as being a good programmer does not make a good team leader.

--EK
elander

Post by elander »

Eternl Knight wrote:
*laugh* OK, so far I have been called a bitch, immature, and told to "shut the gently caress up". Until such time as you enter the debate with something other than ad hominem attacks - I feel no need to answer your questions.
I didn't call anyone a bitch directly but you called me naive and i was showing you there is another side who usually don't acept the choices of project leaders and react in an immature way. You only have to feel offended if the it applies to you.

Has for a debate I don't care if you think Ton is elitist or not. If you bother at least a bit to see what he has made in his site to collect opinions from his fans what you are saying strikes rather oddly.

It may sound harsh saying "if you don't like don't bitch" but thats way open source works. If they just listened to anyone whithout making sure they know Blender good enough then the few resources they have could not be well spent.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Enough! I'm locking this topic. To be honest, it shouldn't have started at all. Blender is a great tool and Ton Roosendaal and his community have worked very hard on it and that's something everyone should admitt. The fact that anyone as an artist finds programs with a steep learning curve doesn't mean that the program is useless or bad. If you want to be good you gotta study and practice.. a lot! I'm a big fan of blender and I'm continuosly amazed by the results obtained from it.