Challenge of the month poll

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

Interested in learning Irrlicht thru a "challenge of the month"?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:19 pm

Very interested
89%
Not interested
6%
What's Irrlicht?
6%

Total votes: 36

afecelis
Admin

Challenge of the month poll

Post by afecelis »

As I mentioned before here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 7161#57161

The Deled community has a special thread called "everyone models" and every certain time an Admin. or a user suggests a topic for something to be modeled with their Editor, so a screenshot is posted and everyone starts working on it and showing their results. There are no prizes but the experience you gain thru this exercise. The interesting thing is that as people post their WIP, questions are asked, ideas are given, tips are offered, etc etc etc.

I thought we could do something similar here and make it an oportunity for everyone to participate, show their work and also ask questions or share their experience. As some users have suggested, it would be an interesting exercise since each "challenge of the month" would cover a different topic and area of Irrlicht.

I think it's a great chance to learn how to use the engine!! :wink:
Suggestions for the challenges are welcome!

I know some contests have been done before in the Irrlicht community, but I think there was a certain pressure about having prizes and stuff. This would be purely educational.
Conquistador

re:

Post by Conquistador »

Sounds like a great idea, I do have one suggestion though..

You should have three contests, each one of a different difficulty level, so that nobody will get left out (the new folks can stand a chance, and the more experienced people won't get bored)
sRc

Post by sRc »

ooh sounds fun. could get some good practice off it.

*makes note to finish setting up his new x64 installation with the 64-bit Platform SDK and Code::Blocks so he can build 64-bit apps*
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I agree on the 3 categories. Newbie, intermediate and advanced, and the topics shall be assigned accordingly. :wink:

@Anaconda: ahhhhh, new system!...ahhhhhh 64bit? ahhhhhh I envy you! :wink:

edited: I also thought that once we get this started we should name a tutor on each category; tutors can be voluntary or can be picked according to their experience on the topic that is being covered. This way well have a better coverage over each challenge. :D
Maize

Post by Maize »

Sounds good. Just to make sure I understand it though, would an example be like, make a 3rd person camera with best quality and least lines of code?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

mmmh, that could be a topic. But that sounds more like Darkbasic's 20 line challenge.
The idea would be more to explore each of Irrlicht's features one by one, offering a challenge that goes from something very simple to complex.

Commented by Bitplane:
Thats a great idea. Maybe something like 'Challenge of the month' where the first thread starts with a tutorial including textures and meshes and people expand on it to make their own additions. Everyone would benefit with at least one new tutorial and a few new scene nodes each month. Here's some ideas off the top of my head...
Mesh buffer manipulation, 3rd person following camera (quake map and crappy example camera code provided), modeling a crazy golf green (physics engine code and golf ball supplied), particle system weather simulations, shaders... ooh we could make some cool poop. Maybe you should make a poll to see who would be interested. count me in anyway!
that would be the idea Maize. But it shall be something where each Irrlicht user, in each stage of learning and development of the engine may want to participate, and also feel that the experience will complement his knowledge. :D
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

Or, maybe even some code-completion challenges, where we have an un-compilable program that is supposed to do something, and have the user fill-in-the-blanks. Just an idea.

The mentor idea sounds pretty sweet too, but it looks like this calls for a new subforum, or a new subforum for each of the three categories, and then another to discuss the progress, etc.
Maize

Post by Maize »

I didnt know it waws from Darkbasic. I only tried dark basic classic for 2 days but i didnt like it at all.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

yey count me in! :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room

Post by Guest »

well i guess it could be some fun so i voted yes hehe
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Liar! you voted "what's Irrlicht?", hehehehhe :wink:

Post by Guest »

okay you got me...i have to confess i dont know irrlicht at all ;) i recently work with ... ogre!!! hahahahahahahahaa!!

ps: for the ones that dont understand it: that was a joke, i really voted yes :) (and no, i do not use ogre)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

heheheh, I know you take your Irrlicht medicine 3 times a day. Just like the Doctor recommends it! :wink:
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

If you don't, the spiders will start crawling all over your skin and UNDER it as well!
Crud, how do I do this again?
FlyHigh

Post by FlyHigh »

Sounds good, although i can only participate in programming challenges