Newbie texturing help

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
EricDB

Newbie texturing help

Post by EricDB »

Here's how my ship looks in Wings3d, with materials:

I'd like it to look that way in my game, but a search of the forum led me to the disappointing discovery that Irrlicht will not load colors from my .3ds model, and I have to use UV texturing instead. So I tried that...here's the awful result:

That's just pathetic. I know there's a better way--please show me the light. With one texture for the whole ship, I just can't make each individual part have its own color with a sharp boundary, like I want. Can I have different textures for different parts of my model? That's basically what I was trying to accomplish by using materials (which don't make it into Irrlicht).

Thanks!
krama757

Post by krama757 »

If you use wings to render the ship does it look like you want?

Can you post the code you used to include the model in the engine?

Post by Guest »

For a start you seem to not havelighting on that model in game - so it looks flat - the texture you have used is very basic, you need a more detailed texture with those hardlines in - then use a UV UNWRAP rather than a box/planar UVMAP to map it on correctly (like adding stickers to an air-fix kit).

goodluck
EricDB

Post by EricDB »

I thought of something else this morning...haven't had a chance to try it yet. But the main thing (besides not being lit) that's ugly about the textured model is that geometry lines that should have a sharp difference in color (as between the cockpit glass and the frame) instead have a blotchy border. That's because they're adjacent on the texture, and I can fix that by making sure that no differently-colored polys border each other on the texture map, right?
SanderVocke

Post by SanderVocke »

I guess so, I usually make seperate "groups" in my skin for differing colors. Nice model! It looks a lot like one I just made yesterday for my space game :P.
:shock:
"The shortest distance between two points is always under construction."
- Noelie Alite
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

Hallo Eric!! :D
So now you have 'migrated' too :) -or at least expanded to here.
That can only help us here at Irr!
I had problems like the one u describe and solved them -then i posted this

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... t=uvmapper
as a respond to a person who also had texturing woes
It is for a 3ds model but the UVmapper part should be transparent.
UVmapper seams limited but it works as a charm and thorougly painted models can look realy nice.
get ur free UVmapper here
http://www.uvmapper.com/
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |