Help: TransformVect in C#

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
Kikketer

Help: TransformVect in C#

Post by Kikketer »

When I attempt to use a Matrix4 to calculate forward movement of my node I run into trouble when attempting to use the .TransformVect() method.

my Matrix4 is called mov.

I have a seperate class that has all the information about my node (like current position and speed type things). So from what I understand you send the TransformVect a new Vector3D of the position that the node should move in...

So say the CurrentPosition property of my class is Vector3D(0,0,0) and I want to move it forward I do the following:

Code: Select all

mov.SetRotaionDegrees(node.Rotation) // the node is set to my seperate class
mov.TransformVect(myObject.NewPosition)
The .NewPosition is the transformed position: Vector3D(0,0,3)

The problem is at TransformVect, it is trying to use a ref. How do I pass back a ref variable of my new Vector3D?
- Give a weed an inch, it'll take a yard -
Mianpe

Post by Mianpe »

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but the TransformVect method just transforms the Vector3D that you pass it using the translation/rotation that you set earlier. So you do like:

mov.SetRotaionDegrees(node.Rotation)
mov.TransformVect(ref myObject.CurrentPosition)

and now myObject.CurrentPosition will be the new transformed location.
Kikketer

Post by Kikketer »

I guess what I'm really asking is how do I transform a node from one position to another based on time (not speed of the loop). I made a simple thing where my node was flying along the Z axis by simply adding to the Z coordinate, but this proved to go at different speeds depending on the speed of the system.

How can I say "Move from (0,0,0) along the Z axis at 9 points per second"?

Thanks
Mianpe

Post by Mianpe »

Personally, I keep a DateTime variable called LastUpdate and each time I enter the loop I do something like:

float timeDiff = (float)DateTime.Now.Subtract(LastUpdate).TotalMilliseconds;
LastUpdate = DateTime.Now;

Then I can translate an object based on it's velocity:

Matrix4 mat = new Matrix4();
Vector3D trans = new Vector3D();
trans -= myObject.Velocity * -timeDiff;
mat.SetTranslation(trans);
mat.TranslateVect(ref myObject.Position);

In your example, the velocity would be:
Vector3D Velocity = new Vector3D(0, 0, 0.009);

(As a side note, it seems that Irrlicht.NET doesn't let you add Vector3D objects, but it will let you subtract them. This seems odd to me.)

Hope that helps.
Kikketer

Post by Kikketer »

This may sound incredibly noob but I can't seem to get it to work with the ref keyword. If I use a property the compliler tells me that ref can't be used with properties or indexes. When I create a get method the compiler tells me that the argument must be an IValue...

I'm going to keep trying stuff,

Thanks
Mianpe

Post by Mianpe »

True, you can't pass a property as a ref parameter (that's a .NET thing not an Irrlicht thing). My example assumes a public Vector3D variable "Position".

If you want to use a property (i.e. if you have code to execute when getting CurrentPosition), you would need to do:

Vector3D pos = myObject.CurrentPosition;
mat.TranslateVect(ref pos);
myObject.CurrentPosition = pos;