My Final Project

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Conquistador

My Final Project

Post by Conquistador »

Hello, I'm here to announce my first project I'm willing to let people take a look at. I'm going to be handing it in as my final project for my grade 11 computer science course. As of now, it's only about half done.

In the end, the goal of the game is going to be to dodge, or shoot, any obstructions that get in the way. The camera will travel forward through a repeating high-tech corridor.

As of now, I have the repeating world, and some random lighting working. It's only about half done, and I intend to get a lot more done over the weekend, and hand it in some time next week.

A screenshot I took can be found at: http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen11uc.jpg

The link to the download can be found here.

UPDATE [Nov. 25 2005]
Added a score system
Different difficulty levels
Time limit
Music with FX
"Light Speed" Feature - press UP or W key

UPDATE [Nov. 20 2005]
Added obstruction billboards
Camera now moves forward automatically
Last edited by Conquistador on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
TrueLiar

Post by TrueLiar »

Problem with your download link. I try downloading and receive a message:
"You cannot access the content "release.zip""
Prepare for my Piluzz...
(about 3 years)
Conquistador

re:

Post by Conquistador »

Boo-urns, lemme fix this...
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

There, I changed the link, it should work now. :D
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

Pretty slick!!

Next stop, portal system!
Maize

Post by Maize »

The screenshot looks nice man. Im downloading the demo now and Ill report back later.

REPORT: It was really good. The only problems I noticed was getting stuck in the corners and if you backed out of the tunnel, it started problems if you went around it and back through the front of it etc. I would recomend doing collision detection differently for the notches. Personally, I dont think its really nesecary to. I would just create box selectors for each wall. Keep up the good work and you will have a great game on your hands.
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

Looks very nice, and runs abouts 75fps on my system ( Specs : here ) One thing I'd suggest, if you don't mind, is that to add some fog to the wall segments would really help prevent the visability of the popping in the background and in my opinion give a better feeling to the whole thing. But as said before, really nice as is :D
Maize

Re: My Final Project

Post by Maize »

dhenton9000 wrote:Next stop, portal system!
Conquistador wrote:...hand it in some time next week.
Are you kidding me dhenton? That could take over a month.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

very very cool! :wink:

good job! :D
Conquistador

re:

Post by Conquistador »

Yeah, I tried that, but what you're seeing at the front of the walls isn't a mesh, it's the clear color background. It looks like crap, the walls have fog, but the opening at the front doesn't. I wanna do something like that, maybe have a plane at the very front that's affected by fog, so it'll look better. I dunno...

Also, what do you think about the random color changes? Should I leave it as is, or make it so the different colors come in gradually, instead of snapping to a new color?
AlexL

Post by AlexL »

Either way would look good with the color changes in my opinion, try it both ways and see which you like better :) Back to the fog issue, try making the screen background and the fog color the same; it should deal with the black square at the end of the tunnel. Anyways, best of luck with this assignment and I hope for it to get you a good grade.
roninmagus

Post by roninmagus »

That's very cool! A lot better than what I could do in AP CS..
daveandrews.org - A Christian Programmer's Weblog | Dusty Engine - A Task Engine for Irrlicht
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

This game should be rated - mature :P

It's very dangerous to play :D

Especially for 15 minutes ... i got some 'eye swapping effect' (almost like I wa drunk ...)
Conquistador

re:

Post by Conquistador »

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback guys :D

I should post an updated demo sometime before Monday.
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

I've made a bit of progress this weekend, I've added obstruction billboards, and have them randomly placed in between the walls. I've also made it so the camera automatically moves forward.

A screenshot can be found here

And once again, the download can be found here

Things to do:
- Make it so the camera can't turn around and go out of the wall
- Make bounding boxes and collision detection for the obstructions
- Make the game get harder the longer you play it
- Make a scoring system