UnrealEd

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
nbalive

UnrealEd

Post by nbalive »

Yes. For my levels I like to use UnrealEd. Can you like zip those up(with all textures and stuff) and use it in Irrlicht? If not, is there another good level editor I could use( Maybe I should switch). Thanks

Post by Guest »

its not possible. maybe you can export the levels? i dont know.
take a look at the irrlicht homepage which formats it can load.

hints: blender, qtradiant, 3dsmax, deled ... :)

Post by Guest »

It is illegal to use UED for exporting to any other engine without a licence. However you can use it to build the geo- then export it (t3d) to max then re-export as what you like. I think the loading of an .unr file or whatever (with actors, lightmapping etc) is the illegal part.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Unreal is a big No No to be used out of itself (i.e. in other engines). The unreal engine is totally commercial and close-sourced. But if you model your stuff for unreal in 3dsmax, you have to export to ASE to load it into the engine; so why not export to 3ds and lightmap in Giles?
ps2harry

Post by ps2harry »

so I think Ill stay away from unrealed. But what level editor would you guys say I should use?

Post by Guest »

3dstudio max, deled etc can be used commercially and have lightmaps.
gtradiant cant be used commercially and has lightmaps.

blender can be used commercially and for models/uv maps/everything else but has no lightmaps (you can use a baker-script though, but its slow :) so you could say that even blender has lightmaps)
ps2harry

Post by ps2harry »

so what would you suggest I use. Like what is your favorite tool? For like modelling maps. I really cant do it in max, so Im kinda looking for something else. Thanks

Post by Guest »

if you ask me i would say blender because its opensource, its free, and i like it the most :)
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

Blender is the King. It has a steep learning curve though, but if you've fooled with other 3D apps and watch the video tutorials, you can jam with it pretty well in about a week.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

But he'd still need lightmapped levels. Let's hope Murphy's stuff becomes a reality and finally fills in the void of not being able to get lightmaps from levels created in Blender.

Post by Guest »

you can with the baker script :)
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

i like gtkradiant... only free for non-commercial use tho
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.

Post by Guest »

Well, i just tried Quark. Its as easy as Deled but much more powerful and free as a bird (OPENSOURCE! Yep.) Especially the lightmaking is way more advanced.

Here is a special OPENBSP version, so you don't need to have any quake-engine game installed :wink:

http://www.skinhat.com/Quark/QuarkForGLScene_01.exe

Dial-up warning! 15 Meg download!

Post by Guest »

http://www.skinhat.com/Quark/

for some screenshots.

Blender which is my everydays tool can do the stuff as well, but for level editing i think it is slower (lightmapping with python texture baker) and as it can do much more than that also more complicated. You better do some video tuts for Blender or you end up swearing. :lol:

For modelling however BLENDER is by far the best. As they are free download both, hehe.
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

about that quark with openbsp... it saves it as a .obsp file, and if renamed to .bsp it still doesnt work for me. saying its not a valid bsp file... so we might need a special import made before we could use it :(

that or im just doing something horribly wrong (which might be the case as well)