pure .NET version of engine for download

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
austcro

Post by austcro »

just a quick update.

I downloaded your code Foole and used it as a template. Instead of using your code I just added a ref to the wrapper and the result is the same. However, the back colour using the wrapper is green instead of blue like it is with your code. And events aren't being fired. But I reckon you already knew that. Maybe this is totally useless as a post, but I haven't had much time to look at it. in a couple of days I will get back here with some more info. As I said before, I would like to be involved in the pure version. Anything you want to hand over to me I will gladly accept.

thanks

Steve
austcro

Post by austcro »

Another update.

I have taken what Foole has done and ported across the entire include folder from the irrlicht native solution. I will be porting one folder from the project per week from here on in. What I want to know is:

1. Does anyone think that this should be a one for one port? Meaning that as far as possible if you decide to developing with the wrapper and begin with the ported version reference the pure version and have it run straight away with minimal changes to your source code.

2. Moved this to a more .NET way of doing things, ala have it as CLS compliant as possible, change some method names so that they are properties etc?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Steve
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

edit: saw a post covering my suggestion :oops:
Foole

Post by Foole »

I started off doing a 1for1 replacement for the C++ engine.. that's why the OpenGL driver is such a mess.

A 1for1 replacement for the ManagedC++ wrapper would make it much easier to switch existing code over. CLS compliance would make the library friendlier to new coders. I guess i'm leaning towards CLS compliance.

Any chance of putting the code up in a version control system somewhere so others can contribute? I didn't want to start a sourceforge project for my code until I knew the project was going to be feasible. It didn't quite get there.
austcro

Post by austcro »

Foole,

Excellent idea. After I work out how to do it of course! No problems then. I will get back to you shortly. I used what you had started and added to it, maybe made some small changes in some areas, but essentially it is almost 1 for 1 with the c++ version.

As you know, there are some operator overloads and stuff that has no direct equivalent in .net so I've done my best to compensate. I am very keen to get it as CLS compliant as possible. Maybe there could be 4 different compilation options irr-debug, irr-release, cls-debug, cls-release. But that would make it difficult to maintain. I think step one is to get to just do a port, then revise after.

Steve
austcro

Post by austcro »

Update:

I have submitted a request to sourceforge to host the source code. Just the other day, I managed to get a simple example running. I want to do a code review and refactor within a couple of weeks after xmas.

I have struck one problem though, there are a couple of methods that are called in the Line2D class: GetIntersectionofLines and IsPointBetweenPoints.

Now, I could implement these myself quite easily, however I prefer to just port it over. Can anyone help. I did a search of the native project and could not find them at all.

Steve
Irme

Post by Irme »

How is this project moving along? Need more help? i'd love to aid in the process if i could.
austcro

Post by austcro »

Irme,

It is going well. Slowly but surely. I'm not happy with it as yet, but being a perfectionist with this sort of thing, I tend to be a bit slow. I have ported the entire include folder of the native version and a few other files in the implementation folders so I could run up a quick sample to see if it works the way it should.

As soon as the sourceforge space is setup you can contribute. If you are wanting to dig in now then let me know and I can target a few classes for you that need development. I am really glad this is stirring up some interest, keep it coming folks.

Steve
the_bob

Post by the_bob »

austcro,

I'm not sure whether I'm clever enough to actually contribute to development of the engine much. Assuming I have the time, I might be able to contribute in some auxiliary capacity, though.

Since I'm interested in using this for an upcoming project, I might be able to come up with some examples and, perhaps, some documentation.

We'll have to see what the new year brings. Make sure to let everyone know when the sourceforge space is opened so we can all see what has been done so far! :D
3D in .NET - Who would've guessed!
austcro

Post by austcro »

the_bob,

That's quite ok. Thanks for volunteering! I must admit, the xml doco within the code is slowing me right down. I have done most but not all, pretty much just copying and pasting Niko's doco, but it isn't all that copy-paste friendly so I have needed to clean it up extensively. Perhaps when I'm finished, you can run through and do the xml doco and run NDoc over it.

I have a project in mind for this as well, which is why I'm doing this. I haven't found anything else out there that is as easy to use as Irrlicht. I sincerely hope my attempt at porting really does Irrlicht justice.

Steve
Firgor

Post by Firgor »

Very nice idea to implement (port) a complete C# engine, i search a lot and i found no engine in C#. Did you Need more help?
austcro

Post by austcro »

Thanks, but the idea wasn't mine. I was just fed up with rolling my own solution every time a project came up and so decided to use irrlicht because it fit my needs the best. I stumbled on Axiom ages ago but it's almost impossible to customise it, seeing that I'm not actually doing any game development.

As of the other day sourceforge approved the project and have allocated some space for it to be hosted. I was going to get the site up and running before releasing any versions of it. I have finished my code review and have found heaps of mistakes. They should all be fixed but since this the holiday season I have taken a break from programming activities for a couple of weeks so I can maintain my enthiusiasm. It should be ready to go soon hopefully.

I've never had anything to do with sourceforge before, if anyone can help me with it, I'll be able to spend my time coding the engine instead of buidling web sites etc. Web sites aren't my strength. Anyway, thanks for the interest.
SharpOverride

Been reading through your comments... I had the same idea ..

Post by SharpOverride »

I really wanna help with the ports of Irrlicht in a C# form... The Engine is great although written in C++ ... Imagine what C# can do... how can I get the current work... or tell me what should I port... the basic classes ... please give a feedback at sharpoverride@gmail.com ...
Everton

Post by Everton »

Now that is possible to contribute with irrlicht.NET, I think that is better to complete the prapper of Irrlict.NET...

Why you Guys not create a "Irrlict.NET" team! In a few weeks its possible to wrapp all the Irrlict...

After all, a pure version of the engine would be to slow...
the_bob

no pushing here...

Post by the_bob »

Steve,

If it sounds like I'm pushing, I apologize. I must admit, I'm pretty new to Irrlicht (and game dev in general, for that matter). I think with the new year, and a new project or two I'm looking at, I'm just really anxious to start working with what looks like a really great tool.

Anyway, when you want me to look at the nDoc stuff, just let me know. It's been a while since I've looked at that, but now is as good a time as any to brush up.

Also, I'm no whiz with HTML, etc. But, if you are still looking for help with that I'd be willing to pitch in when / where ever I can.

Again, no pressure. I'm just really excited with what I see happening here! :D

Later,

Bob
3D in .NET - Who would've guessed!