Irrlicht.NET + MONO + Linux

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
MadDoc

Irrlicht.NET + MONO + Linux

Post by MadDoc »

Hi guys,

I am new to Irrlicht and Irrlicht.NET for about two weeks. Up to now I did not find out, how the .NET interface to the C++ Irrlicht engine can be build with MONO. May be I have missed something ... Can anybody give me a hint?

Regards MadDoc

Post by Guest »

i think you can't... mono doesn't support managed c++ / mixed mode assemblies (or how this gets called) and that's what niko uses for irrlicht.net.
rektide

Post by rektide »

Is there any Linux compatibility at all? WINE or anything?

There's got to be some way to get Mono running C libraries. How much porting would Irrlicht core require to get the libraries running in Linux?

[Edit] Wait a hot second.... http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html#platforms... the libraries already should work in linx. No porting required. Just ahve to get mono to use them... Course its not quite that simple, but... feasible.
l33ts0n

Post by l33ts0n »

You misunderstand the problem. The Irrlicht.NET wrapper is produced using Managed C++. Managed C++ assemblies are mixed mode assemblies, which means they are part C++ and part .NET.

Obviously Mono can't support these kinds of assemblies, since its purely a .NET runtime.

The way to make Irrlicht.NET work under Linux, with Mono, would be to wrap all the functions using the standard P/Invoke available in both Mono and Microsoft.NET, to allow for one assembly to be used x-plat style.

However, that's a ton of work.

I recommend using SWIG if you're serious about it.