terrain

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
[dx/x]=HUNT3R

Post by [dx/x]=HUNT3R »

FleshCrawler wrote:(still learning, but school makes it kinda impossible atm.)
I hear that, I'm trying my hardest to code on my game everyday but school just keeps getting in the way. Oh well, at least I'll be done with school for good in December. Hopefully I can then get a job coding games all day. Oops, I just jacked this thread... :wink:
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The name of the book is a link. I guess it's hard to see that since it looks like pure text.

It's one of the Andre LaMothe series, but is written by a High School student named Trent Polack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 17-9530026
Crud, how do I do this again?
Kortyburns

Post by Kortyburns »

Hi,

I've changed knightoflight's code in order to use Octtree :

I changed the return value of renderterrain() method to SMesh*
in order to call smgr->addOctTreeSceneNode(MyReturnedMeshp) ;

It works well, but the Octree Generation time is long(more than 1 minute).

Any idea ?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I noticed this out on GameDev. http://www.mightystudios.com/ released a code update for their book 'Real-Time 3D Terrain Engines using C++ and DirectX 9' . For those of you that like learning by example, give the Gaia code a whirl.
Crud, how do I do this again?
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

thanks saigumi, thats interesting!

For texturing:
I thought about multitexturing to get nice terrain. How to merge more than 2 textures together ? Is it possible to open a new surface with createSurface and use the irrlicht-copy functions, or has someone experience in merging/blitting more than 2 textures together ?

17.09.2003:
Ok, Niko wrote in the help-forum, that using createSurface leads to a dead way, cause it only works in the engine and will be terminated in the next versions of irrlicht.

Thanks for all useful help (especially kortyburns), but it seems we cant get progress. We should wait until Niko installs terrain in irrlicht in a version numberIdontknow sometime ?

23.09.2003:
Finally something new!
Sire Gorgon Zola posted a new terrain code in the "offtopic"-forum, so we can close this thread.

28.09.2003:
Kortyburns and i sent a new version v002 to offtopic-forum, thread terrain test