32 bit texture problem

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Cleves

32 bit texture problem

Post by Cleves »

Hey,

I had an object with a 24 BMP on it and it worked ok but now I installed 0.4.2 and i tried to put a 32 BMP texture.When I run the program the object is white,without any texture.

Any ideas? :?

Thanks
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Most likely your getting the "Compressed BMP's are not supported yet" error. Just use IrfanView or some other program to convert it to jpeg or something.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
rt

Re: 32 bit texture problem

Post by rt »

Cleves wrote:I had an object with a 24 BMP on it and it worked ok but now I installed 0.4.2 and i tried to put a 32 BMP texture.When I run the program the object is white,without any texture.
check out this thread http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=517 .. use a 32bit tga or png instead of bmp .. what a waste of memory!
tstuefe

Post by tstuefe »

use a 32bit tga or png instead of bmp .. what a waste of memory!
dumb question: does it really matter? I always thought DirectX uncompresses the bitmap anyway before putting it into texture memory... I can't imagine the graphics card doing e.g. jpeg nucompression on the fly while rendering. So the only thing you would save is harddisk place.

But I'm not sure...
rt

Post by rt »

[quote="tstuefe]dumb question: does it really matter?[/quote]

when you load the texture into ram it's true that it's stored uncompressed, but when the file is sitting on your hard drive a .png can be up to 90% smaller than the same file in .bmp format AND it's a lossless compression so there is no reason not use it... .png also give you 8bit transparency, which is not available with .bmp 8) why waste the your own (and the end-users) hd space for no reason?
all my image files for the irrlicht project i'm working on are .png (except for the .bsp textures, which are jpeg anyways which is good enough).
Cleves

Post by Cleves »

Yeah it sounds like PNG is the solution for me.But is the texture quailty will stay the same?
rt

Post by rt »

Cleves wrote:Yeah it sounds like PNG is the solution for me.But is the texture quailty will stay the same?
i repeat: png is a lossless compression so there is no image degradation compared to .bmp