Newbie question: Meshes not visibles with Windows 2000

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Nextor

Newbie question: Meshes not visibles with Windows 2000

Post by Nextor »

Hi guys. Sorry if this looks like a stupid question but I'm just a beginner using Irrlicht and don't know if that's an already very well-known issue.

My problem is that, I can compile the examples perfectly but when I run the exe files on Windows 2000, the model doesn't show in scene, and the console doesn't show any error either. I have Windows2000 with DirectX 9 (I choose DirectX 8 to ensure compatibility, though). When I run the same EXE file on Windows98 (with the same versión of DirectX), everything goes perfectly well: the model shows in the scene.

I'll use OpenGL on Windows2000, which goes OK, until I find out what happens to DirectX.

Can anybody give me a hint of what is happening?

Get away from her, you B*TCH !!! - Ellen Ripley
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

since u made sure that the software part (dx) is ok, the only thing i can think of is
*graphic card
*graphic drivers
*conflicts on the buggy pc

-do u have any posibillities to run on yet a thitd pc (friend relatives) -perhaps that can point u right..

nb things like these are realy hard to fix :(
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem with dx9/8. With my PC the Graphic driver caused the problem, installing older drivers solves the problem.

Post by Guest »

Yeah nextor what gfx card/drivers are on the win2k box? This sounds strange and is bound to be a driver prob. I had a driver problem where no gui/font would show up in the examples on WINXP (with a certain version of nvidia drivers) but fixed a workaround that simply added ->settexture(0) before ->settexture(texture) in d3d8driver.cpp. The bug in the drivers somehow lost the texture without an explicit null/0 and a reset (which would probably be slower on certain games depending on amount of changes). that was for 2D only though.

I hope you can fix this so we can all be assured that our apps will work fine in DX on different OS's / driver configs.

Post by Guest »

Thank you guys, I'll try to change the video card drivers and I'll tell you if I get anything.

BTW, I have a Gladiac GeForce card (don't remember the model, it's a relatively old card)
Nextor

Post by Nextor »

Well, I'm back. It seems that wasn't exactly the problem:

I've modeled my own animated mesh on Blender, then exported to a .x file (for DirectX8), tried it out on the HelloWorld example and... IT WORKED for both DirectX8 and OpenGL on W2K !!!

Tried again to compile the original HelloWorld (with a .md2 mesh, from Quake2) and worked for OpenGL but didn't for DirectX8 on W2K (on W98SE they both worked, as you remember).

It seems it's not only a matter of (maybe) drivers on W2K but also a problem with managing different kinds of meshes...

What do you think?
bearSoft

Post by bearSoft »

i only u have had no luck at all with dx -eg only render at oGl. then it would have been full normal. U do have to re-compile the IRR dll to get dx support -thats is thorougly explained in the docs and in many threads -but the behavior u describe is not simple explainable
use oGl as default.
Regards.
Tech: win98se| 320mb ram| abitbe6| 433mhzceleron| atiRadeon7000.64mb| soundblaster125| dx9.0b | devCPP | IRR 0.12.0 |
pfo

Post by pfo »

I had a similar problem with DirectX on windows XP on my mom's machine. Models made in Milkshape seemed like they had their normals off by 90 degrees when rendering, causing the faces to clip at odd angles. Using OpenGL fixed the problem, strange because the models in DeleD worked fine with DirectX.
Nextor

Post by Nextor »

Thanx you guys.

I'll try what you're suggesting, bearSoft, I'll compile the dll and I tell you what happens.