microsoft visual studio.net 2003 closing for no reason.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Rabid Mantis

microsoft visual studio.net 2003 closing for no reason.

Post by Rabid Mantis »

For some reason whenever i work on a certain project, visual studio will suddenly close itself after a minute or two of having it open. It doesnt seem to do it with any other projects. It had worked fine until the other day, and I hadnt made any real changes to the code either. Any idea why it would do this? I've done virus scans and all sorts of things. I even reinstalled visual studio.
Xaron

Post by Xaron »

In our company we had similar problems with really large projects.

Try the following:

Go to Tools->Options->Editor and disable all four "Statement completion options". This _might_ help.

Regards - Xaron
Rabid Mantis

Post by Rabid Mantis »

So, having a large cpp could cause it to crash?

are you talking about tools-options-text editor? there's no plain "editor" in my list. Then when i go under text editor, i have to go under "all languages", and theres only three statement completion options - auto list members, hide advanced members, and parameter information. I turned those off and it still crashes. Does any of this sound familiar?

Edit* I went through and deleted a whole bunch of empty space in my .cpp file and it doesnt seem to be crashing anymore. So does this mean theres a limit or is there something I can do about it?
Xaron

Post by Xaron »

Rabid Mantis wrote:So, having a large cpp could cause it to crash?
Not necessarily.
are you talking about tools-options-text editor? there's no plain "editor" in my list. Then when i go under text editor, i have to go under "all languages", and theres only three statement completion options - auto list members, hide advanced members, and parameter information. I turned those off and it still crashes. Does any of this sound familiar?
I'm sorry. This was for VS6.

For VS7.1:
Well I don't know exactly. Turn off the dynamic help, auto complete and such things. It should do the trick.
Edit* I went through and deleted a whole bunch of empty space in my .cpp file and it doesnt seem to be crashing anymore. So does this mean theres a limit or is there something I can do about it?
There is no limit, but the IDE itself seems to be buggy in some cases...

Regards - Xaron