x files not working

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Melssj5

x files not working

Post by Melssj5 »

Some x files work, and some others not, why could it be?
disanti

Post by disanti »

Did you try resaving them with MView.exe that comes with the DirectX SDK?
What did you use to export them, and what settings did you use (if you made them that is)?

Sometimes they will not work if they are composed of multiple objects. If they are, try merging them together and then reexporting.
________
Free Gift Cards
Last edited by disanti on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melssj5

Post by Melssj5 »

I have a 64Kbps conexion, i have not enough time to download all the direct x sdk.

in any way. Does .x files suport form animation, I mean does it suport to edit the mesh or only the position and rotation.???
disanti

Post by disanti »

It supports bones, and with bones means you can transform individual vertices, I'm unsure if it is possible to modify UVs yet. Anyway, best of luck!
________
Mexico Hotels
Last edited by disanti on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melssj5

Post by Melssj5 »

ok, thanks, the problem is not rotating the mesh, but twisting a corner and making the paper flat again. for that I need to animate the deformations of the mesh!, Is it posible maybe in md2?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Hello,

I also would like to ask something very similar. How to do this with "physique - modifier"?

This is because I have not been successful to export an animation, created in 3ds max, using biped and envelopes so that the mesh will behave like organic skin. To merge all the body parts into one single mesh was a thing I didn't want to do, too.
I asked a friend of mine to have a closer look onto the structure of an *.x - file and then write an own exporter, fitting for export to irrlicht.

I will tell you as soon as it is finished.
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

Abraxas wrote:Hello,

I also would like to ask something very similar. How to do this with "physique - modifier"?

This is because I have not been successful to export an animation, created in 3ds max, using biped and envelopes so that the mesh will behave like organic skin. To merge all the body parts into one single mesh was a thing I didn't want to do, too.
I asked a friend of mine to have a closer look onto the structure of an *.x - file and then write an own exporter, fitting for export to irrlicht.

I will tell you as soon as it is finished.
Did you look at the panda exporter? I use blender but if you search for "panda" in the forums you'll find something if you haven't used it already.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yup, is a very old thread I did.

But anyway, panda wont work with Biped.
You need to export as FBX, (comes in export formats list by default in max 6 or better) then reimport as fbx (comes also) Then it'll be already a bones and skin file, able to be exported with panda.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

ps: I'd advice to try and make ur character one single piece model, one material witha texture, better if just standard material. With one skeleton.

object Uv mapped, of course.

And in all exports, tends to be better to have the stack collapsed, and in Panda, make sure you have at least a pair of keayframes done.

If u need multipart model, a linked hierarchy for mechs, tanks, ships with moving parts...no organic, no weights..... . then go for Milkshape, use Milkshape, or if have Max, use the Milkshape exporter for ms3d. there's one but dunno if works...

The blender one doesn't, for animation..but surely both work for static models.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com