File System Paths problenm

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Spidla

File System Paths problenm

Post by Spidla »

I don`t understand the format of ZIP paths
I created device, add ZIP file archive and I set IgnorePaths = false
in the ZIP file I have directory called 'plugins' and in this dir I have file called 'types.dll'
I tried to find the file using function FileSystem->existFile()

and I got false
I tried many formats of path and I always got false

I tried :
tank.zip/plugins/types.dll
tank/plugins/types.dll
/plugins/types.dll
../plugins/types.dll
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

The zip archive is only used by the Irrlicht core functions like getImage and getMesh.

I put in a request to allow us to joyride on this filesystem around when 0.4.0 came around. I hope Niko remembers and will add it.
Crud, how do I do this again?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

saigumi wrote:I put in a request to allow us to joyride on this filesystem around when 0.4.0 came around. I hope Niko remembers and will add it.
I'll remember. But there are also lots of other things to do. But I'm having a little bit more time now, so lets see what's coming.. :)
buhatkj

yeh i noticed that before

Post by buhatkj »

yeh i had noticed that before, that the paths just dont work. i had posted another thread about it and i just am too lazy to dig up a link ;-) suffice to say, its just a bug in the zip archive virtual filesystem and as yet there is no fix for it. i can tell you it certainly makes it fun trying to use MD3's because the files all have the same name, lower.md3, upper.md3, etc for every model, so you either need to unzip and rename them all, or just only use one model for every character. its no fun :-(
all the same its easy enough to just unzip it and use the regular paths to the files so no biggie :-)
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
keless

Post by keless »

does the same apply to .pk3s? cause I havent been able to see any textures when loading them in the demos. Im half convinced its my own buggy hardware.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
buhatkj

yeh, pk3's are just renamed zip files...

Post by buhatkj »

yeh, like i said in the title. although, the textures specifically should load, cuz they usually have unique names. however, the .skin files (that tell the MD# loader which textures to use) and animation.cfg file, and the 3 MD3 models that make up a player all have the same names, so you may have all sorts of wierd conflicts cuz of that.
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
keless

Post by keless »

well, im just talking about the level that comes with the techdemo/0.4.0 examples.

When I run either the techdemo or the Q3 map example, the level loads but there are no textures. I dont believe it had any .md3 objects inside of it, though I cant tell. Anyhow, I cant believe it was distributed not working like this, and can only assume this particular problem is specific to my own system as no one else has complained.

It DOES work on my work computer which has no video card, in both OGL and DX. (Although OGL has dark lighting, and a few messed up textures)
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
buhatkj

ahh..yeh sorry dunno

Post by buhatkj »

yeh, no i dont think it did have any md3 objects. dunno what the deal is with that...
-Ted