Creating custom GUIs.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Dirtbiker

Creating custom GUIs.

Post by Dirtbiker »

I don't really know c++. I read there was a skinning ability since 0.11.0.
I looked through the API classes and saw some variables to do with color.

What classes or images would you need to modify or add for a custom GUI? Or would you need to change Irrlicht.dll?

Thank you very much.

Post by Guest »

The built in irrgui is very basic - but good for app style things or certain games (that get away with an "ugly" gui). YOu can customise it a little but it still looks old fashioned (don't anyone flame me, that's the truth!).

Anyway - for a modern game look you should use your own bitmaps in screen space (2D) for all your guis - use alpha on them for a variety of cool effects and smooth edges.

You can use the sprite stuff from the wiki if you want nice scaling also - but can get away with using irrlichts own "Draw2DImage()" functions. Stick into your own gui class and you can build a number of useful effects like movement and mouse detection etc. Works great here!
Dark Rain

Post by Dark Rain »

Also, Cegui works "out of the box" with Irrlicht but it's not a zlib license if that's important to you. Also it's pretty complex as far as gui systems go.