Alpha Foundation chapter 1 released

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
x4861

Alpha Foundation chapter 1 released

Post by x4861 »

Greetings!

After a long period of silence I finally have the first playable game version. Currently the first chapter only (30-60 minutes play time), but almost all functionality is finished (shops, battles, magic, save game, etc.)

Only exception - no sound effects :roll: I was too lazy to do that.

I'll update the homepage someday, but for now let me know what do you think about the game itself (any bugs you find). Constructive criticism allowed 8)

By default the game is full screen, but it can be played in windowed mode (execute windowed.cmd instead).

OpenGL only for now.

Also, special thanks to Maize :) one of your comments in some other thread made my day!

Download here: http://s-fonline.com/webhosting/x4861/alpha.zip (35MB)
genesisrage

Post by genesisrage »

lookin good, only bug ive seen...
i was fighting ants south of town and i went to heal and the program crashed without warning :(
dhenton9000

Post by dhenton9000 »

This is fantastic!! I can't play these things myself, but I've watched my son blast through enough final fantasy things to recognize all the features.

Very cool implementation of the typical game features into the Irrlicht environment! It has the feel of a commercial game and I love the dialog engine and interactivity.

A couple of things for me-- I kept hitting the esc key for the menu. I was a little unclear on the combat stuff. Loved the victory dance.

Unbelievable!!
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

cool game structure...... I could just feel this RPG heart in it....
what is this thing...
x4861

Post by x4861 »

Thanks for the great comments!

@genesisrage: thanks, my mistake. Didn't include healing model in the final relese files. I'm re-uploading the corrected version
GueZt_Coders

Post by GueZt_Coders »

Hiyaa! Even though I only got 56kbps net speed, I will download
your 35MB game, because I’ve already seen your previous
release which are already great! I really wanna see what’s
been improve now. :shock:

Downloading.......... :D
Just part of irrlicht related project| CLEAR CODE NOTATIONS IS LARGELY SELF CODUMENTING!

Post by Guest »

Several comments/observation:

1. When I turn left or right, it spins the world out of control. I think it's too fast.

2. I fell through the floor of one of the room. There're some collision issues.

3. some characters seem to jump instantly from one position to the next with no transition whatsoever.

Other than that, it's a great start.

How does one convert a NWN .mdl/.hak file to .3ds or .x file format? What tool did you used to do the conversion?
Morphing

Post by Morphing »

What fromat u used for save/load system
binary or XML or any other
x4861

Post by x4861 »

@Guest: such things could happend if you get low FPS... it hasn't been tested much :oops:

About MDL: there is no known way (for me) to convert NWN .mdl into .3ds or .x; There are tools that converts the model itself, but NWN has a hierarchical animations defined in many files and I haven't seen a complete utility to do all this.
In my case I have written my own .mdl loader which isn't compatible with Irrlicht scene nodes, since I have my own scene manager.

@Morphing: The savegame is just a binary file, nothing fancy here.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

wow! :shock: this game is great! not my favourite genre, but i'm gonna play it until the end! I'd write more praise but i'm addicted and must get back to it :)
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room

Post by Guest »

Some screenshots would be cool - I want to see it without d/l 35mb first, but it sounds good.
x4861

Post by x4861 »

Post by Guest »

Thanks but.. 403 error on all 3???

"You don't have permission to access /webhosting/x4861/battle.jpg on this server."

cheers
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

looks like stonefish don't allow hotlinking. after clicking on the links, click in the address bar then press return.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
area51

Post by area51 »

The game is outstanding!

Very mature, functionally rich and extremely playable as a game. (let alone anything else)

Well worth the download.

Excellent work!
________
Vaporizer wiki
Last edited by area51 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.